Subject: [NSIS] REA Naming Contest (reanco)

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:32:52 -0400

Dear All,

We have discussed about the naming issues for the NATFW NSLP's
RESERVE-EXTERNAL-ADDRESS (REA) message.

In the past revisions of the NATFW NSLP REA has been used to obtain an
external IP address/port at the outermost NAT (and at in between NATs  
too).
But the semantics of REA changed over time from purely NAT usage to a
combined NAT and firewall usage, i.e., a combination of the old REA and
the old UCREATE.

REA is used for:
- Used to get external address/port at NAT
- Used to install firewall rules for inbound traffic
- Used in proxy mode usage

So the current name is not really describing the semantics/usage anymore
and we need to something different. Since the authors haven't had any
good idea and some off-line discussions didn't bring a good name, we
are starting the

                               REA naming contest (reanco)

This contest calls the NSIS WG for input on name suggestions for the
message currently called REA.

The contest starts today (actually already yesterday during the session)
and will run until  August 3rd 8am EST. Suggestion made after
August 3rd EST are not accepted anymore. All suggestions must be sent
to the NSIS working group list ([email-masked]). It is not valid to use a
naming generator that simply tries combinations of characters.

The one who has suggested the name that will be finally taken as the new
name for REA will be awarded with a six-pack of local beer at next  
IETF in
San Diego. If there are multiple people suggesting the same name, they
must share the six pack (sorry for that, but not enough money for it ;-)

Of course all things apply here: participants must be older than 18  
or 21 years
(depending on location of IETF and the local laws), no guarantees,  
not entitled
for anything, must be at the next IETF meeting in San Diego in  
November 2006,
no monetary refunding, etc...

So, looking forward to many suggestion for a "new REA".

   Martin for the NATFW NSLP authors.

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:35:24 -0400

Forgot one thing:

The name suggestions will be discussed by the NSIS WG and the WG will
vote on the suggestions to find the new name.

   Martin

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> Von: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
> Datum: 13. Juli 2006 09:32:52 GMT-04:00
> An: nsis <[email-masked]>
> Betreff: [NSIS] REA Naming Contest (reanco)
>
> Dear All,
>
> external IP address/port at the outermost NAT (and at in between  
> NATs too).

---

From: Matthias Friedrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 07:50:27 +0200

On Thursday, 2006-07-13, Martin Stiemerling wrote:
[...]
> - Used in proxy mode usage

I'd like to take part in the contest, too, so I'll repeat my suggestion
from last week's mail :-)

As I don't think there can be the perfect name describing all of REA's
use cases in a catchy acronym, we could name it after the instance which
sends the message (NR/NI+/DR). For symmetry, the CREATE message should
also be renamed:

 * CREATE -> ICREATE (Initiator CREATE); REA -> RCREATE (Responder CREATE)

or, alternatively:

 * CREATE -> SCREATE (Sender CREATE); REA -> RCREATE (Receiver CREATE)

This would also give us the opportunity to talk about I-Sessions and
R-Sessions in the spec, which emphasizes that they are different things.

Regards,
	Matthias