Subject: RE: [NSIS] REA Naming Contest (reanco)

From: "Pashalidis, Andreas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:06:19 +0200

Hi,

A few ideas for replace "REA".

Open Internal Path (OIP) message <-- my favourite

Configure Internal Path (CIP) message

Prepare For Ucreate (PFU) message (I am not sure that the message that
opens nat binding is actually called "Ucreate". If not, replace
"Ucreate" with that message name)

Internal Network Configuration (INC) message

That's all for now... :)

Andreas

________________________________

From: Martin Stiemerling [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Donnerstag, 13. Juli 2006 15:35
To: nsis
Subject: Fwd: [NSIS] REA Naming Contest (reanco)

Forgot one thing:  

The name suggestions will be discussed by the NSIS WG and the WG will
vote on the suggestions to find the new name. 
  
  Martin

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

	Von: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
	Datum: 13. Juli 2006 09:32:52 GMT-04:00
	An: nsis <[email-masked]>
	Betreff: [NSIS] REA Naming Contest (reanco)

	Dear All,

	We have discussed about the naming issues for the NATFW NSLP's
	RESERVE-EXTERNAL-ADDRESS (REA) message.

	In the past revisions of the NATFW NSLP REA has been used to
obtain an
	external IP address/port at the outermost NAT (and at in between
NATs too).
	But the semantics of REA changed over time from purely NAT usage
to a
	combined NAT and firewall usage, i.e., a combination of the old
REA and
	the old UCREATE.

	REA is used for:
	- Used to get external address/port at NAT
	- Used to install firewall rules for inbound traffic
	- Used in proxy mode usage

	So the current name is not really describing the semantics/usage
anymore
	and we need to something different. Since the authors haven't
had any
	good idea and some off-line discussions didn't bring a good
name, we
	are starting the

	                              REA naming contest (reanco)

	This contest calls the NSIS WG for input on name suggestions for
the
	message currently called REA.

	The contest starts today (actually already yesterday during the
session)
	and will run until  August 3rd 8am EST. Suggestion made after
	August 3rd EST are not accepted anymore. All suggestions must be
sent
	to the NSIS working group list ([email-masked]). It is not valid
to use a
	naming generator that simply tries combinations of characters.

	The one who has suggested the name that will be finally taken as
the new
	name for REA will be awarded with a six-pack of local beer at
next IETF in
	San Diego. If there are multiple people suggesting the same
name, they
	must share the six pack (sorry for that, but not enough money
for it ;-)

	Of course all things apply here: participants must be older than
18 or 21 years
	(depending on location of IETF and the local laws), no
guarantees, not entitled
	for anything, must be at the next IETF meeting in San Diego in
November 2006,
	no monetary refunding, etc...

	So, looking forward to many suggestion for a "new REA".

	  Martin for the NATFW NSLP authors.

	_______________________________________________
	nsis mailing list
	[email-masked]
	https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "Roy, Radhika R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:21:10 -0400

Hi Andreas, Martin, and all:

Also, here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Open Path Interactive (OPI) message
2. Open Interactive Path (OIP) message
3. Path Opening Interactive (POI) message
4. Interactive Path Opening (IPO) message

Note: The word "interactive" has been emphasized in ICE (a standard for
FW/NAT crossing for signaling and media in SIP) because the "path" is
kept open through interactive communications that are defined in ICE
protocol standard. I guess the same is also true here.

Cheers,
Radhika R. Roy

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Pashalidis, Andreas
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 5:06 AM
To: Martin Stiemerling; nsis
Subject: RE: [NSIS] REA Naming Contest (reanco)

Hi,

That's all for now... :)

Andreas

Forgot one thing:  

  Martin

	Dear All,

	REA is used for: