Subject: [NSIS] minor qspec parameter issues

From: Andrew McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:41:46 +0000

Hi,

A couple of further comments about details of the QSpec parameter encodings.

RPH Priority has a value defined for RPH namespace of "255 - not used". 
I assume that, like the DSTE/Y.1541 issues noted previously this is left 
over from an earlier draft version, and no longer required.

In the Excess Treatment parameter there is an 8-bit "Remark Value" 
field. Further description is provided in the paragraph beginning "When 
excess treatment is set to 'remark', ...". There is a sentence in the 
middle of that paragraph that appears to be a deviation from English as 
we know it:
| For example, packets may be remarked to drop remarked to pertain
| to a particular QoS class".
It looks like it first appeared in draft -11 and has never made sense. :-)

A further question: My interpretation is that the 'remark value' is a 
DSCP. Is that right? In which case, could the text be made clearer? 
Also, should this be a 6 bit field, rather than an 8 bit field?

regards,

Andrew

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "ASH, GERALD R, ATTLABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:31:57 -0500

Hi Andrew, 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andrew McDonald [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 7:42 AM
> To: nsis
> Subject: [NSIS] minor qspec parameter issues
> 
> Hi,
> 

Right, I had included all the extra "255 - not used" cases within your
previous comment.
 
> It looks like it first appeared in draft -11 and has never 

I recently noticed that sentence also, it should be:
"  For example, packets may be remarked to drop or remarked to pertain
to a
   particular QoS class."  
 
> Also, should this be a 6 bit field, rather than an 8 bit field?

Agree with your comments.  Perhaps this replacement text is clearer:

"   When excess treatment is set to 'remark', the excess treatment
   parameter MUST carry the remark value, and the remark values and
   procedures MUST be specified in the QOSM specification document.
   For example, packets may be remarked to drop or remarked to pertain
to a
   particular QoS class (DSCP value).  In the latter case, remarking
relates to a
   DiffServ model where packets arrive marked as belonging to a
   certain QoS class/DSCP, and when they are identified as excess, they
   should then be remarked to a different QoS Class (DSCP value)
indicated in the
   "Remark Value", as follows:

   Remark Value (6 bits): indicates either drop (set to 0) or DSCP value
to
                          remark packets to when identified as excess"

Thanks,
Regards,
Jerry