Subject: RE: [NSIS] GIST Q-Mode Encapsulation Magic Number

From: "Ford, Alan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:09:20 +0100

Hi all,

> > for the case where an end system receives a GIST message without
> > the magic number, I am still unclear on whether to generate an
> > error or silently discard.
> 
> I tend so say "send an error" message, given that the magic number  
> MUST be present anyway.

 From an implementer's point-of-view, I'm not so sure. An error message
includes the GIST common header, but the magic number precedes the
common header. If I fail to parse the magic number, how can I give the
common header in the error message? Surely a missing magic number is a
mangled packet and should just be silently ignored? I think that this is
particularly relevant given that the magic number is seen as part of the
encapsulation, not the message.

Regards,
Alan

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Luís Cordeiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 17:45:13 +0100

Hi all,

I agree with Alan, we should assume that if the magic number is
different the message received is not GIST, so no Error message should
be sent.

This would benefit GIST in a scenario where messages (with the same IP
RAO as GIST) flood the network. In this scenario GIST would not help
the flood. But on the other hand this would require the packets to have
the same IP RAO as GIST, is this usual?

BR,

Luís Cordeiro

Ford, Alan wrote:

Hi all,

Regards,
Alan