Subject: [NSIS] receiver initiated reservation

From: "Bertrand Goareguer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:32:40 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

When a node receives a QUERY message with the RESERVE-INIT flag set, it is
supposed to build a RESERVE message and send it back along the path. But
if the desired bandwidth (specified in the QSPEC) is too high for the
first link (greater than the available bandwidth), what should the node do
?
I guess it should send some kind of reply to the node who sent him the
QUERY, but in section 4.3 of draft-ietf-nsis-qos-nslp-15.txt it is
specified that "the QNI must not include the RII object". So no RESPONSE
message can be sent back.

Thanks for your comments.

Bertrand

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Jukka MJ Manner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:27:23 +0300 (EEST)

Hi Bertrand,

Good point. I would expect that the QNI sends a NOTIFY with a suitable 
error code, either from the Transient or the QoS Model error class. Since 
the QUERY has passed and set up the reserve path, you can still a NOTIFY 
to the QNR (the node that sent the QUERY).

Jukka

---

From: "Bertrand Goareguer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:10:40 +0200 (CEST)

Thanks for your answer Jukka.

I modified the NSIS implementation I'm using (the one from the Goettingen
university) to send a NOTIFY instead of a RESPONSE in that particular
case. I also had to change the state to IDLE and not WAIT_RESPONSE after
receiving the NOTIFY.

draft-ietf-nsis-qos-nslp-15 specifies that "NOTIFY messages do not cause
any state to be installed". Then I wonder if my solution is good (although
it's working).

Since I want to be as close as possible to the standard, can you tell me
if the draft will be changed to add this case in the state machine ?

Regards,

Bertrand

---

From: Bernd Schloer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:03:22 +0200

Hi Bertrand,

I will add this to the QoS-FSM draft.

Best regards,
Bernd