Subject: [ntpwg] Documents, slides, etc. from WG meeting

From: mayer at gis.net (Danny Mayer)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 23:27:27 -0400

Could someone make available the pointers to the change documents, etc.
plus whatever slides where shown and minutes when available? Also could
we get the attendee list? It was hard to make out who was who on the
streaming audio.

I was able to listen in at least to most of the meeting and I'm happy
with the progress you made. Good job everyone!

Let's get this round of RFC's finished!

Danny

---

From: brian at innovationslab.net (Brian Haberman)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:42:15 -0400

Danny,
     The -07 version of the spec and the pdf of the last call comments
and resolutions are available at www.innovationslab.net/ntp.  When the
minutes are available, they will be posted to this list for review.

Regards,
Brian

Danny Mayer wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> ntpwg mailing list
> ntpwg at lists.ntp.org
> https://lists.ntp.org/mailman/listinfo/ntpwg

---

From: tglassey at earthlink.net (TS Glassey)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:19:52 -0700

streaming was choppy but I heard most of it too...

t

---

From: rich.osman at nsn.com (rich.osman at nsn.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:26:39 -0500

Y'all:

Reference: RATE On Page 23 section 7.4 (b) says:

For kiss code: "RATE the client MUST immediately reduce its polling
interval to that server and continue to reduce it each time it receives
a RATE kiss code."
 
This seems to require a behavior that doesn't make sense to me.  If I
parse this using definition 1) below it says that the client will poll
the root **more frequently** when I suspect the intent to get it to slow
down.  The mailing list discussions I found seem to back this up.
 
I would change the text to replace the word 'interval' with the word
'rate.' 
 
Webster's says:
Interval:
 
	1 a : a space of time between events or states b British :
INTERMISSION
	2 a : a space between objects, units, points, or states b :
difference in pitch between tones
	3 : a set of real numbers between two numbers either including
or excluding one or both of them
	4 : one of a series of fast-paced exercises interspersed with
slower ones or brief rests for training (as of an athlete) 
 
And a point of curiosity: why isn't the magnitude of back off specified?
Looking at the mailing list traffic this was mentioned, but does not
seem to have been followed up. This seems to be a congestion control
mechanism.  I can see someone backing off 1 ns per RATE packet and
claiming compliance.  That gives them an advantage in a congested
environment.  I suppose the server can DENY a client it doesn't see
backing off fast enough, but I can see lots of room for disagreement
depending on the focus of the developer. I'd use a factor of 10 or at
least a factor of two back off. 

--

Rich Osman
Nokia Siemens Networks
Cell: +1 469-831-5513 
SMS (email to phone) mailto:4698315513 at tmomail.net
  GSM: +358 40 546 7374 (When out of US)
mailto:rich.osman at nsn.com
6000 Connection Drive; Irving, TX  75039

---

From: mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:26:42 -0400

> I would change the text to replace the word 'interval' with the word

You are correct. I really did mean to poll less frequently.

Danny