Subject: [ntpwg] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-00

From: developers at ietf.org (IETF I-D Submission Tool)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:27:41 -0400

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-00.txt has been successfuly submitted by Brian Haberman and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-ietf-ntp-autokey
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Network Time Protocol Version 4 Autokey Specification
Creation_date:	 2007-09-25
WG ID:		 ntp
Number_of_pages: 70

Abstract:
This memo describes the Autokey security model for authenticating
servers to clients using the Network Time Protocol (NTP) and public
key cryptography.  Its design is based on the premise that IPSEC
schemes cannot be adopted intact, since that would preclude stateless
servers and severely compromise timekeeping accuracy.  In addition,
PKI schemes presume authenticated time values are always available to
enforce certificate lifetimes; however, cryptographically verified
timestamps require interaction between the timekeeping and
authentication functions.

This memo includes the Autokey requirements analysis, design
principles and protocol specification.  A detailed description of the
protocol states, events and transition functions is included.  A
prototype of the Autokey design based on this report has been
implemented, tested and documented in the NTP Version 4 (NTPv4)
software distribution for Unix, Windows and VMS at
http://www.ntp.org.

The IETF Secretariat.