Subject: [ntpwg] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-00.txt]

From: brian at innovationslab.net (Brian Haberman)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:57:23 -0400

All,
      The initial version of the autokey specification is now available 
in the I-D repository.  Please review and comment.

Regards,
Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-00.txt
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:30:01 -0400
From: Internet-Drafts at ietf.org
Reply-To: internet-drafts at ietf.org
To: i-d-announce at ietf.org
CC: ntpwg at lists.ntp.isc.org

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of 
the IETF.

	Title           : Network Time Protocol Version 4 Autokey Specification
	Author(s)       : B. Haberman
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-00.txt
	Pages           : 70
	Date            : 2007-09-25

This memo describes the Autokey security model for authenticating
servers to clients using the Network Time Protocol (NTP) and public
key cryptography.  Its design is based on the premise that IPSEC
schemes cannot be adopted intact, since that would preclude stateless
servers and severely compromise timekeeping accuracy.  In addition,
PKI schemes presume authenticated time values are always available to
enforce certificate lifetimes; however, cryptographically verified
timestamps require interaction between the timekeeping and
authentication functions.

This memo includes the Autokey requirements analysis, design
principles and protocol specification.  A detailed description of the
protocol states, events and transition functions is included.  A
prototype of the Autokey design based on this report has been
implemented, tested and documented in the NTP Version 4 (NTPv4)
software distribution for Unix, Windows and VMS at
http://www.ntp.org.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-00.txt

---

From: mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:14:52 -0400

Brian,

I hope this is an internet draft for an RFC and not a memo. I regularly
throw away memos.

I haven't read this yet.

Danny

---

From: brian at innovationslab.net (Brian Haberman)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:10:16 -0400

Danny,
      You will notice that the original message came from the I-D 
Announce list.  That means the specified document has been added to the 
Internet Drafts repository.  I believe that makes it an Internet draft. 
  In this particular instance, the draft is targeted for publication as 
an Informational RFC.

Brian