Subject: [ntpwg] Announcing the NTP Forum

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 04:32:25 +0000

It's about time: ISC is creating an NTP Forum (http://ntpforum.isc.org) to
directly support the Network Time Protocol (NTP) Public Services Project
(http://support.ntp.org) and the NTP Project (http://www.ntp.org). Together
these groups offer public education, development, documentation, issue
reporting, maintenance, support and mailing lists.

The NTP Project's software is the world's best way to keep the correct time
on most computers, and is the foundation of accurate network time
synchronization. As such, it is critical to many social and technical
functions. An improved NTP will make your life easier because it will:

    * Streamline national and international regulatory compliance
    * Increase the accuracy of financial and other transactional records
    * Enable more effective cooperation with criminal investigations
    * Improve the customer service experience for customers and staff alike
    * Reduce technical support hassles 

The NTP Project has been, to date, a 100% volunteer effort. With the growing
popularity of NTP it is increasingly difficult to provide the level of
support and service the community needs with a small group of volunteers.

At this point we are especially interested in individual members. We will be
soliciting institutional members over the next few months' time, with an
official launch of the NTP Forum in the spring of 2008. In the meantime, we
want to encourage individuals to join, to help get us going and to help the
many of you who have relationships with the institutions we'd like to have
join us make sure we are in a position to deliver the value and benefits you
expect and deserve.

Help us to give you an even better NTP - go to http://ntpforum.isc.org and
join today! (Why today? Because if you put it off you'll forget...)

Harlan Stenn, Programme Manager

PS - we want to return the favor and help you as much as you are helping
us. We're considering things like interoperability testing, focused
discussion groups and implementation certifications for the forum. Let us
know what you want - we'll listen to you as carefully in that regard as well
as we will on NTP issues.
_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.ntp.org/mailman/listinfo/ntpwg

---

From: "David L. Mills" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 06:07:08 +0000

Harlan,

No, it's not about time. We have a perfectly functional discussion group 
on both the hackers list and newsgroup. There is no need for additional 
discourse. Should you advance this, I will not participate. That may not 
be a consideration in your plan and that's just fine with me..

Dave

---

From: Harlan Stenn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 06:14:11 +0000

Dave,

> be a consideration in your plan and that's just fine with me..

You and I have had this discusison already, and I know you do not plan
to participate.

You will, however, be receiving a number of benefits from the NTP Forum
and its operations.

Should you choose to decline these benefits (like my efforts and those
of the Public Services Project, any development we are able to fund, and
an even longer list that I won't bother to go in to here) that is
certainly your choice and I will honor that request, should you make it.

H

---

From: "David L. Mills" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 23:28:42 +0000

Harlan,

With respect, I get too much mail now and wind up devoting one to three 
hours each day reading and responding to mail. I don't need or want any 
benefits from the apparatus; I have all the funding I need now and that 
for interesting research. If the participation of others in any group 
results in a message to me, I will be happy to respond.

Dave