Subject: [ntpwg] Updated NTPv4 Protocol Specification

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:33:00 -0500

NTP WG,
      The latest NTPv4 protocol specification has been published.  This 
revision should address all Last Call issues raised except for 
additional text on the timing reference point.  I did not see any 
consensus on the mailing list on the text proposed by Rich Osman using 
the LI as the reference point.  Please review this version for all other 
changes.

      If you have comments on the reference point for the start time, 
please post that to the mailing list.

Regards,
Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-08.txt
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:15:01 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of 
the IETF.

	Title		: Network Time Protocol Version 4 Protocol And Algorithms 
Specification
	Author(s)	: J. Burbank, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-08.txt
	Pages		: 108
	Date		: 2007-11-19
	
The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is widely used to synchronize
    computer clocks in the Internet.  This document describes NTP Version
    4 (NTPv4), which is backwards compatible with NTP Version 3 (NTPv3)
    described in RFC 1305, as well as previous versions of the protocol.
    NTPv4 includes a modified protocol header to accommodate the Internet
    Protocol Version 6 address family.  NTPv4 includes fundamental
    improvements in the mitigation and discipline algorithms which extend
    the potential accuracy to the tens of microseconds with modern
    workstations and fast LANs.  It includes a dynamic server discovery
    scheme, so that in many cases specific server configuration is not
    required.  It corrects certain errors in the NTPv3 design and
    implementation and includes an optional extension mechanism.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-08.txt

_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.ntp.org/mailman/listinfo/ntpwg

---

From: Danny Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 21:39:53 -0500

> please post that to the mailing list.

I don't have an opinion on Rich's suggested text but I did just send in
a modification/clarification to the KoD text which I want to see added.
This makes clear that KoD timestamps should always be discarded.

Danny

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:09:25 -0500

Thanks for the text. Seems entirely reasonable, and unless anyone has  
objections, I'll add it in the final (one can always hope) rev with  
whatever text we agree on for precisely which bit is represented by  
the timestamp.

- Jim