Subject: [ntpwg] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-01.txt]

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:32:57 -0500

All,
     This version of the autokey draft is based off of the recent 
changes described by Dave.  Please review it and provide comments.

Regards,
Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-01.txt
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:45:01 -0800 (PST)
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of 
the IETF.

	Title           : Network Time Protocol Version 4 Autokey Specification
	Author(s)       : B. Haberman, D. Mills
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-01.txt
	Pages           : 53
	Date            : 2008-02-25

This memo describes the Autokey security model for authenticating
servers to clients using the Network Time Protocol (NTP) and public
key cryptography.  Its design is based on the premise that IPSEC
schemes cannot be adopted intact, since that would preclude stateless
servers and severely compromise timekeeping accuracy.  In addition,
PKI schemes presume authenticated time values are always available to
enforce certificate lifetimes; however, cryptographically verified
timestamps require interaction between the timekeeping and
authentication functions.

This memo includes the Autokey requirements analysis, design
principles and protocol specification.  A detailed description of the
protocol states, events and transition functions is included.  A
prototype of the Autokey design based on this memo has been
implemented, tested and documented in the NTP Version 4 (NTPv4)
software distribution for Unix, Windows and VMS at
http://www.ntp.org.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-01.txt

_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.ntp.org/mailman/listinfo/ntpwg

---

From: Danny Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:07:15 -0500

> changes described by Dave.  Please review it and provide comments.

One quick thing that I noticed is that this does NOT obsolete RFC 1305 
which does not contain any references to autokey. Autokey was added in 
NTPv4. Also why does this show up as a -01 draft? There has been at 
least one previous draft.

Danny

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:49:50 -0500

Danny,
      Responses inline...

> which does not contain any references to autokey. Autokey was added in 

I will remove mention of obsoleting 1305.

> least one previous draft.

There has been exactly one previous draft which was -00.

Regards,
Brian