Subject: [ntpwg] [Fwd: Proposal to move all IETF Mail Lists to ietf.org]

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:22:32 -0400

Any comments on this since the NTP list is hosted outside of the 
ietf.org domain?

Regards,
Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Proposal to move all IETF Mail Lists to ietf.org
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:10:22 -0400
From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Dear WG Chairs:

The transition from NSS to AMS for IETF Secretariat services has shed
light on many topics.  The light is not a result of things being done
improperly by one vendor or the other.  Rather, it is due to the
increased attention associated with the transition.  One of the
things that concerns me as IETF Chair is archives of IETF mail
lists.  The transition has clearly highlighted that we do not archive
non-ietf.org mail lists as consistently as ietf.org mail lists.

The archive for non-ietf.org mail lists happens my enrolling a mail
list member to collect the messages for archival on the IETF web
site.  All kinds of things go wrong, and these members get dropped
from the mail list.  Also, the archive recipient sometimes get direct spam.

To avoid these issues and to ensure that all IETF mail lists are
administered with a consistent policy, the IESG is considering moving
all IETF mail lists to ietf.org.

Please let us know what you think about this idea.

On behalf of the IESG,
Russ Housley
_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.ntp.org/mailman/listinfo/ntpwg

---

From: Harlan Stenn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 21:14:43 +0000

Brian,

I don't seem to have an opinion at the moment.

I think we set this list up from here because we knew we could get the
job done well and quickly.

If the IETF wants to move the list over there and suck over our archives
that's fine with me.

It will also be a bit less work on our staff here, which is probably
good in that regard.

H

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 10:23:56 +0100

My view is that all formal IETF discussion should happen on an ietf.org 
for the reasons that Russ lists below.

Stewart

---

From: "TS Glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:02:36 -0700

The IETF is rapidly reaching a point where it needs to provide legally 
strong proofs that it in fact is in control of the IP it claims it owns 
rights to. So yes this is absolutely critical - but it also means HACKERS 
needs to go inside the IETF as well as part of the NTPWG vetting/diligence 
process.

Todd Glassey