Subject: [ntpwg] Association and broadcast for SNTP in NTPv4 MIB

From: Raphael Garti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 09:55:58 +0300

I would like to use the NTPv4 MIB draft to manage an SNTP client, and
have few questions:

1. I want to configure associates, for instance, by providing IPv4 
addresses. ntpAssociationTable holds association information, but it is 
read-only, and does not have a row status or administrative status 
parameter.

2. RFC 4330 allows sending client requests using any nonzero UDP source 
port. When located behind a port-translating device, there may be a need

to configure a client to send requests to different servers while using 
different ports. How can I configure source ports using the MIB?

3. How can I disable / enable listening to broadcast (or other modes) 
messages? Some users would rather not listen to broadcast messages.

Raphael

_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.ntp.org/mailman/listinfo/ntpwg

---

From: Danny Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 21:35:44 -0400

> read-only, and does not have a row status or administrative status 

I'm not clear why you think that a MIB can do this. A MIB only holds 
information for a monitoring system its not meant to control it.

> different ports. How can I configure source ports using the MIB?

You can't since you are only monitoring.

> messages? Some users would rather not listen to broadcast messages.

You don't configure them to listen for broadcast messages.

I think what you are asking for is being implemented in the DHCP NTP 
options currently under discussion. Why don't you read the draft of that 
  option here: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gayraud-dhcpv6-ntp-opt-01.txt
That may very well give you want you want.

Danny

---

From: "TSG" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 19:08:29 -0700

NTP should by all rights be integrated into NEA for what its worth.

Todd