Subject: [ntpwg] NTPv4 Last Call

From: "Laurent Montini (lmontini)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 20:14:27 +0200

Hi,

Besides the 2 comments below, I believe the document
draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-10 is ready for the IESG.
 
A) Page 21

   Precision: 8-bit signed integer representing the precision of the
   system clock, in log2 seconds.  For instance a value of -18
   corresponds to a precision of about one microsecond.  The precision
   can be determined when the service first starts up as the minimum
   time of several iterations to read the system clock.

Except if there is a specific manipulation, should not the nearest value
for one microsecond be -20?
If any manipulation, short explanatory text would be useful.

B) MINPOLL value consistency

Value is 4 (16s) in page 11 ...
   A client sends messages to each server with a poll interval of 2^tau
   seconds, as determined by the poll exponent tau.  In NTPv4, tau
   ranges from 4 (16 s) through 17 (36 h). 
... and page 17 (figure 6) with text 
"  While these are the only global parameters needed for
interoperability,..."

However the value is 6 (64s) in page 60
#define MINPOLL         6       /* % minimum poll interval (64 s)*/

.lm
_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.ntp.org/mailman/listinfo/ntpwg

---

From: "David L. Mills" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 18:32:29 +0000

Laurent,

On your first comment, you are correct; the value should be 20, not 18. 
On the second, you will find several cases where the pseudo-code is nt 
exactly conformant with the specified behavior. When these minor 
differences occur, the preferred behavior is as specified in the main 
body of the document.

In any case, thanks for the sharp eyes.

Dave