Subject: [Ntp] Critical bit rationale

From: Watson Ladd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 15:12:19 +0100

Hello,
I don't quite understand why the next protocol field has the critical
bit set. The critical bit is useful when extensions add new packets
that must be understood for security, but none of the current packets
in the NTS KE are in that position.

What is the rational of the critical bit?
Sincerely,
Watson Ladd

---

From: Daniel Franke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 16:02:54 +0100

I think it's kind of a vacuous requirement, because the Next Protocol
record is so fundamental to the operation of NTS-KE; every
implementation needs to support it. Debating whether it's better for a
server that doesn't recognize it to ignore it or to error out is kind
of like debating the sound of one hand clapping.

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 3:12 PM Watson Ladd <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> ntp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ntp