Subject: [Ntp] NTS Hackathon coordination

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 16:04:00 +0000

Folks,

I’ve set up an etherpad for notes for the hackathon participants…
https://tid.isoc.org/pad/p/nts-hackathon-scratch-march2019

I have already pre-populated that with some mechanisms for coordination.
In addition to etherpad, we have IRC chat, jabber, zoom and a google sheet to coordinate during the two days.

For those participating, I’ll see you physically or virtually tomorrow. The room will open at 9:00 am CET. It will take us a little while to get started and get through the opening portions, so for the remote folks, please be patient with us.

Karen

---

From: "Gary E. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 11:53:28 -0700

Yo All!

I can not longer reach these two test servers:

    nts-test.strangled.net:443
    nts3-e.ostfalia.de:443

Are they down for good?

Hal keep improving the NTPsec code.  I'll be keeping my test servers
up, and up to date.

I'd like to ensure we don't break compatibility with other implementations.

RGDS
GARY
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary E. Miller Rellim 109 NW Wilmington Ave., Suite E, Bend, OR 97703
	[email-masked]  Tel:+1 541 382 8588

	    Veritas liberabit vos. -- Quid est veritas?
    "If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve it." - Lord Kelvin

---

From: Sanjeev Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 03:01:58 +0800

root@ntpmon:~# ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
jitter
===============================================================================
 SHM(1)          .PPS.            0 l  44m   64    0   0.0000 86400003
0.0000
 SHM(0)          .GPS.            0 l  44m   64    0   0.0000 86400462
0.0000
*ntp1.glypnod.co 204.123.2.72     2 8  218  256  373 178.5301   9.1129
0.0396
+ntp2.glypnod.co 17.253.34.125    2 8    1  256  377 172.5139  14.5252
0.0646
+37-46-169-123.c 0.0.0.0          5 8  229  256  377 283.2337 -28.9788
0.3931
 10-148-172-163. ....             1 0  23h 1024    0 161.9943   0.4938
0.0491
-nts3-e.ostfalia 192.53.103.108   2 5   57  256  221 248.7595 -31.3913
0.5910

I can see ostfalia, but nts-test.strangled.test no longer resolves via DNS.
-- 
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 2:53 AM Gary E. Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> ntp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ntp
>

---

From: "Gary E. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 12:09:20 -0700

Yo Sanjeev!

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 03:01:58 +0800

> I can see ostfalia, but nts-test.strangled.test no longer resolves

Thanks for the confirmation.

I confirm that today's NTPsec, not yeterday's, fails with ostfalia.

Back to work...

RGDS
GARY

---

From: Sanjeev Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 03:40:47 +0800

> I confirm that today's NTPsec, not yeterday's, fails with ostfalia.

I was using
     ntpq ntpsec-1.1.3+ 2019-03-25T14:23:46Z (git rev adf4143ca)

Now, with:
    ntpq ntpsec-1.1.3+ 2019-03-27T19:36:16Z (git rev c4d912883)
I see:

root@ntpmon:~/ntpsec# ntpq -p
     remote                                   refid      st t when poll
reach   delay   offset   jitter
=======================================================================================================
*SHM(1)                                  .PPS.            0 l   35   64
1   0.0000 -292.510   0.0000
 SHM(0)                                  .GPS.            0 l    8   64
1   0.0000   9.1129   0.0000
+ntp1.glypnod.com                        204.123.2.72     2 8   49   64
1 178.5769 -288.361   0.4467
+ntp2.glypnod.com                        17.253.34.125    2 8   48   64
1 172.5217 -283.170   0.0098
-37-46-169-123.customers.ownit.se        0.0.0.0          5 8    -   64
3 283.5723 -326.516   0.1816
 nts-test.strangled.net:443              .STEP.          16 u    - 1024
0   0.0000   0.0000   0.0005
 nts3-e.ostfalia.de                      .STEP.          16 6    -   64
0   0.0000   0.0000   0.0005

The cookies for ostfalia are decrementing.

---

From: Martin Langer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 06:26:16 +0100

hey together,

my server is still working. Maybe a filter or something?
You can try a NTP connection without NTS to see if you get a response

here are the current raw data (live logging): 
http://nts3-e.ostfalia.de/homePi/tshark_dmp/RAM/
You can open it with wireshark. You can look if you IP address is listed. :)

best regards,
Martin

Am 27.03.2019 um 20:40 schrieb Sanjeev Gupta:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 3:09 AM Gary E. Miller <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     Yo Sanjeev!
>
>     Sanjeev Gupta <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>      remote refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset jitter
> *SHM(1) .PPS.            0 l   35   64    1   0.0000 -292.510   0.0000
>  SHM(0) .GPS.            0 l    8   64    1   0.0000 9.1129   0.0000
> +ntp1.glypnod.com <http://ntp1.glypnod.com> 204.123.2.72     2 8   
> 49   64    1 178.5769 -288.361   0.4467
> +ntp2.glypnod.com <http://ntp2.glypnod.com> 17.253.34.125    2 8   
> 48   64    1 172.5217 -283.170   0.0098
> -37-46-169-123.customers.ownit.se 
> <http://37-46-169-123.customers.ownit.se> 0.0.0.0          5 8    -   
> 64    3 283.5723 -326.516   0.1816
> nts-test.strangled.net:443 <http://nts-test.strangled.net:443> 
> .STEP.          16 u    - 1024    0   0.0000 0.0000   0.0005
> nts3-e.ostfalia.de <http://nts3-e.ostfalia.de> .STEP.          16 6    
> -   64    0   0.0000 0.0000   0.0005
>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> Tel:+1 541 382 8588
>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

-- 
Martin Langer, M.Eng.
Ostfalia Hochschule für angewandte Wissenschaften
- Hochschule Braunschweig/Wolfenbüttel
University of Applied Sciences

Labor Datentechnik, Labor Design Digitaler Systeme
Fakultät Elektrotechnik
Salzdahlumer Straße 46/48
38302 Wolfenbüttel
Germany

Tel. : +49 5331 939 43370
Web  : https://www.ostfalia.de/cms/de/pws/bermbach/mitarbeiter/martin-langer

---

From: Miroslav Lichvar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 12:45:08 +0100

> I'd like to ensure we don't break compatibility with other implementations.

Good idea. I wasn't expecting people to be using my server after the
hackathlon. I've moved it to another machine and it should be running
again. This time it uses a non-standard NTP port, which should be
negotiated over NTS-KE. NTS-KE is still on port 443. Let me know if
there are any issues.

Wasn't there a suggestion to create a mailing list specific to NTS
hacking?

-- 
Miroslav Lichvar

---

From: "Gary E. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 12:31:28 -0700

Yo Miroslav!

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 12:45:08 +0100

> negotiated over NTS-KE. NTS-KE is still on port 443. Let me know if

I'm getting cookies, but not completing the NTPD connection.  The
problem could be on the NTPsec end.

> Wasn't there a suggestion to create a mailing list specific to NTS

I would hope we just get this nailed down soon so that is not needed...

RGDS
GARY