Subject: Re: [Ntp] NTPv4 Server/Port Negotiation records in NTS

From: Miroslav Lichvar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 09:40:09 +0100

On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 04:55:47PM +0100, Christer Weinigel wrote:
> I would like to remove this restriction if possible, and allow
> multiple NTPv4 Server Negotiation records.

...

> 4d) Keep the NTPv4 Server Negotiation record and NTPv4 Port
> Negotiation record separate, but define an order for the records.

...

> Right now I'm leaning towards implementing suggestion (1), (2) and
> (4d), mostly because they involve as few changes to the draft as
> possible.  Otherwise implementing (1) (2) and (4b), or (1) and (4a)
> would be my preferred choices.  The only one I feel is really important
> though is to fix the issue in (1).
> 
> What do you think?

I think this was an excellent analysis that didn't get the attention
it deserved. At least I don't remember any discussion.

I agree with your suggestions and I'd like to go one step further and
remove the support for hostnames in the server negotiation record
completely.

-- 
Miroslav Lichvar

---

From: Watson Ladd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 09:53:19 +0100

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 9:40 AM Miroslav Lichvar <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ....
> ....

I'd like to flag this proposal, but agree with Christer's suggestions.
I disagree because some places will use DNS for dealing with problems
like fallover, rerouting traffic, and other such things, instead of
BGP. If there are applications where we need NTP, cannot support DNS
for code size reasons, and people in the aforementioned places say
they can live without using DNS, then sure.

However, despite my saying that, I expect most large server
deployments will not need to redirect clients at all, and it sounds
like those who do mostly want to avoid DNS: we probably won't be
redirecting clients that way. So this is probably fine to do, although
it is a pretty big change at this point.

>
> --
> Miroslav Lichvar
>
> _______________________________________________
> ntp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ntp