Subject: Re: [Ntp] NTS Hackathon coordination

From: Hal Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 01:27:22 -0700

[email-masked] said:
> my server is still working. Maybe a filter or something? You can try a NTP
> connection without NTS to see if you get a response 

Thanks.

It's working from San Francisco, but with horrible packet loss.  I got 3 
answers from 11 NTP requests.

>From London, short (no NTS) NTP packets work fine.  I haven't seen any 
responses to longer NTP packets.

I poked around in your tshark data.  Thanks again.

I didn't see any long packets arriving from London/ntp2.glypnod.com

I did see long packets arriving from San Francisco/ntp1.glypnod.com, and 
responses.  They all had length 540.  540 is 4 cookies/placeholders.  I can 
see the length ramp up.  Sample below.  1 out of 4 matches 3 out of 11 above.  
I didn't watch long enough to notice the pattern.

>From my home, Silicon Valley, packets and responses, all length 228.  That's 
the normal one cookie case.  They are going through a NAT box and will have 
source port other than 123.

------

01:08:04.264278 IP ntp1-4.ntp > nts3-e.ostfalia.de.ntp: NTPv4, Client, length 
540
01:08:04.428714 IP nts3-e.ostfalia.de.ntp > ntp1-4.ntp: NTPv4, Server, length 
540
01:09:10.264272 IP ntp1-4.ntp > nts3-e.ostfalia.de.ntp: NTPv4, Client, length 
228
01:10:17.264381 IP ntp1-4.ntp > nts3-e.ostfalia.de.ntp: NTPv4, Client, length 
332
01:11:24.264390 IP ntp1-4.ntp > nts3-e.ostfalia.de.ntp: NTPv4, Client, length 
436
01:12:30.264325 IP ntp1-4.ntp > nts3-e.ostfalia.de.ntp: NTPv4, Client, length 
540
01:12:30.428698 IP nts3-e.ostfalia.de.ntp > ntp1-4.ntp: NTPv4, Server, length 
540
01:13:37.264342 IP ntp1-4.ntp > nts3-e.ostfalia.de.ntp: NTPv4, Client, length 
228
01:14:42.264279 IP ntp1-4.ntp > nts3-e.ostfalia.de.ntp: NTPv4, Client, length 
332
01:15:47.264394 IP ntp1-4.ntp > nts3-e.ostfalia.de.ntp: NTPv4, Client, length 
436
01:16:53.264278 IP ntp1-4.ntp > nts3-e.ostfalia.de.ntp: NTPv4, Client, length 
540
01:16:53.428708 IP nts3-e.ostfalia.de.ntp > ntp1-4.ntp: NTPv4, Server, length 
540

-- 
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.