Subject: [Ntp] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-09: (with COMMENT)

From: Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 11:42:22 -0700

Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-09: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

** Section 4.  Can “Whitespace (ASCII) non-printing format effectors)” be
specified more precisely?

** Section 6.  Per “… the host can use a whitelist to explicitly list IP
addresses …”, consider s/whitelist/allow-list/

** References
-- Section 1.2.  Add an information reference for ntpdc

-- Section 6.  Add an informative reference for ntpd

** Editorial Nits

-- Global. Typo. s/developement/development/

-- Section 2. Typo. s/Conains/Contains/

-- Section 2.  Per “… this contains the authenticator information defined in
Appendix C of RFC 1305”, please make RFC1305 a reference.

-- Section 4.  Typo.  s/managment/management/

-- Section 6.  Typo. s/atacks/attacks/

-- Appendix A.  Typo. s/reponse/response/

-- Appendix A.  Editorial. s/more then one packet/more than one packet/

---

From: "Ulrich Windl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 07:49:20 +0200

>>> Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <[email-masked]> schrieb am 25.08.2020 um
20:42
in Nachricht <[email-masked]>:
...
> addresses …”, consider s/whitelist/allow-list/
...

Following recent discussions, I wonder whether we "overshoot": For me (being
non-US) blacklist and whitelist had never been associated with humans of any
kind, just with two colors.
Here in Germany people thought they must abandon "Mohrenstraße" ("black's
street"), and I wonder what will happen to the "Fröhliche Türkenstraße" (Happy
Turks' Street)...

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Ulrich

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:00:06 -0400

Hi Roman,

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds/

This text came directly from RFC 1305. If someone with more of an
applications background can chime in on appropriate identification of
whitespace, I am more than happy to update the text.

The rest of these I will incorporate...

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Roman Danyliw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 15:39:31 +0000

Hi Brian!

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 11:00 AM
> To: Roman Danyliw <[email-masked]>; The IESG <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-09:
> (with COMMENT)
> 
> Hi Roman,
> 
> > email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut
> > this introductory paragraph, however.)
> >
> >
> > Please refer to
> > https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
> > ** Section 4.  Can “Whitespace (ASCII) non-printing format effectors)”
> > be specified more precisely?
> 
> This text came directly from RFC 1305. If someone with more of an applications
> background can chime in on appropriate identification of whitespace, I am
> more than happy to update the text.

Thanks for clarifying.  I didn't appreciate the origin of the text.  Given that, if it's easy to specify that I would do so, but since this is intended to primarily specify history, we can continue to stay consistent with past text (albeit with ambiguity).  No problem.

> The rest of these I will incorporate...

Much appreciated.

Regards,
Roman

> Regards,
> Brian
> 
> >
> > ** Section 6.  Per “… the host can use a whitelist to explicitly list
> > IP addresses …”, consider s/whitelist/allow-list/
> >
> > ** References
> > -- Section 2.  Per “… this contains the authenticator information
> > defined in Appendix C of RFC 1305”, please make RFC1305 a reference.
> >