Subject: Re: [nvo3] draft-khasnabish-vmmi-problems-02

From: ytsun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 22:16:09 -0500

This document really comprehensively describes the requirements for Mobility and Interconnection 
of Virtual Machine and Virtual Network Elements, especially on network Related problems. 

ytsun

---

From: Marco Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 12:13:20 +0800

This draft is constructive on VMs and and VNEs migration and
interconnection between data centers.  In some extent, it meets the
requirements of high availability in DC.

I wonder how this scheme can guarantee the uniqueness of IP addresses
during VM migration. Thanks.

2012/10/21 ytsun <[email-masked]>

> **
> ------------------------------
> ytsun
>
> _______________________________________________
> nvo3 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nvo3
>
>

---

From: Richard Bin liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 22:30:53 +0800

Hi Marco,
Thanks for your comments.

In order to ensure the successful allocation of virtual IP addresses, first
of all, the existing network topology and its address allocation strategy
need to be investigated and analyzed, so that the virtual addresses don’t
conflict with each other. Secondly, Resource Gateway needs to do the
detailed records on the distribution history. The assigned addresses and
recovered addresses should be recorded. While the recovered address
segments are allowed to be allocated again to a new resource request,
however, corresponding to the local topology, there will be some part of
reserved IP addresses, which cannot be recovered.

Also, please refer to Section 3.1.2:
'When allocating IP, it should not conflict with the currently assigned IP
network segment of the VM cluster. In addition, it cannot conflict with the
IP network segment where the physical hosts locate. It also cannot conflict
with the destination IP network segment after the migration. So the
synchronization of IP address allocation information needs to be done. Of
course, the synchronization in the whole network is not necessary as long
as there are ways to ensure no conflict exists.'
Since the VN ID is unique to the whole network, the presence of the same IP
addresses is allowed in different VNs, because they can be distinguished by
IPinIP tunnel.

Thanks.

Richard

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Marco Wang <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> This draft is constructive on VMs and and VNEs migration and interconnection between data centers.  In some extent, it meets the requirements of high availability in DC.
>