Subject: [nvo3] Issue discussion in NVO3 (was Re: NVO3 WG Adoption of draft-quinn-vxlan-gpe-04)

From: Benson Schliesser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 13:22:25 -0400

Hi, Behcet -

Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
> Let me say this, sorry Benson, no offense to you but in this list I
> hardly see chair reviews, unlike most other WGs.

Just to be clear: I'm not offended. Nor do I intend to offend anybody 
else. Meaningful and constructive discussion of ideas is always welcome.

I'll take into consideration your comment about providing chairs' 
reviews. Typically when I call for Adoption my message will indicate 
that we believe consensus exists. And prior to submission to the IESG 
both Matthew and I perform careful reviews with the authors, both for 
editorial purposes as well as to ensure that the draft accurately 
captures consensus. In between those events, I tend to allow the WG to 
develop its own consensus rather than influence it. But I will 
reconsider whether or not the WG would also benefit from more of my 
technical thoughts during development. Thank you for this feedback.

> I noticed that the issue tracker has never been used in nvo3.
> Once this draft is submitted as WG draft, I am going to be happy to
> provide my technical comments on the issue tracker maybe lead the way.

I don't have a strong opinion about whether the Issue Tracker is helpful 
or not. I suspect that it will not add any benefit to NVO3 at this time, 
but I'm willing to reconsider that view.

That being said, whether issues are described in the Tracker or on the 
mailing list my expectation is that the issue will be meaningful and 
clearly described. Merely claiming that there is an issue is not 
adequate by itself. Also, an individual's failure to understand 
something does not necessarily qualify as an issue.

I would encourage all participants to consider whether or not their 
feedback is a material issue, that can be clearly described, which would 
result in constructive discussion. If not, then that feedback may not 
need to consume WG attention. This is true regardless of whether the 
issue is posted in Tracker, on the list, etc.

-Benson