Subject: [nvo3] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-vxlan-rco-01.txt

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 10:53:02 -0800

Hi,

I have uploaded a new version of Remote Checksum Offload for VXLAN
(and also draft-herbert-remotecsumoffload-02.txt that contains
background discussion).

RCO for VXLAN feature has been implemented for a while and being
deployed as an optional feature in the Linux implementation of VXLAN.
We are currently adding support to Linux for VXLAN-GPE, so I would
like to include RCO as a feature from the start.

Accordingly, I have some questions for VXLAN protocol experts:

1) How can we "officially" allocate a flag bit to indicate RCO option
in VXLAN? Is this correct use and choice of a bit? (currently we use
bit #10 in the header)
2) Is using the low order bits of the VNID for the option data
architecturally "correct"? If not, what is the suggested alternative?
3) Presumably we want this for VXLAN-GPE also. Should we just use the
same flag and field for that? Does this need its own draft? I don't
believe there are any conflicts (however we do have one for GPB that
will need to be resolved)
4) More of an FYI: we recently changed to make the UDP checksum
enabled as the default for configuration of VXLAN for IPv4 and IPv6
(zero TX checksum can still be configured). There is now a lot of data
that enabling the UDP checksum yields much better performance on hosts
since we can leverage common supported TX/RX UDP checksum offload in
NICs.

Thanks,
Tom

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 8:43 AM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-vxlan-rco-01.txt
To: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-herbert-vxlan-rco-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Tom Herbert and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-herbert-vxlan-rco
Revision:       01
Title:          Remote checksum offload for VXLAN
Document date:  2016-02-29
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          7
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-herbert-vxlan-rco-01.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-herbert-vxlan-rco/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-herbert-vxlan-rco-01
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-herbert-vxlan-rco-01

Abstract:
   This specification describes remote checksum offload for VXLAN.
   Remote checksum offload is a mechanism that provides checksum offload
   of transport checksums in encapsulated packets using rudimentary
   offload capabilities found in most Network Interface Card (NIC)
   devices. The outer UDP checksum is enabled on transmit and, with some
   additional meta data, a receiver is able to deduce the checksum to be
   set in an encapsulated packet. Effectively this offloads the
   computation of the inner checksum which can be a significant
   performance optimization. Enabling the UDP checksum has the
   additional advantage that it covers more of the packet including the
   IP pseudo header and virtual network identifier.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat