Subject: [nvo3] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nvo3-gue-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 14:57:49 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Virtualization Overlays of the IETF.

        Title           : Generic UDP Encapsulation
        Authors         : Tom Herbert
                          Lucy Yong
                          Osama Zia
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nvo3-gue-05.txt
	Pages           : 37
	Date            : 2016-10-28

Abstract:
   This specification describes Generic UDP Encapsulation (GUE), which
   is a scheme for using UDP to encapsulate packets of different IP
   protocols for transport across layer 3 networks. By encapsulating
   packets in UDP, specialized capabilities in networking hardware for
   efficient handling of UDP packets can be leveraged. GUE specifies
   basic encapsulation methods upon which higher level constructs, such
   tunnels and overlay networks for network virtualization, can be
   constructed. GUE is extensible by allowing optional data fields as
   part of the encapsulation, and is generic in that it can encapsulate
   packets of various IP protocols.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nvo3-gue/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nvo3-gue-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-nvo3-gue-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 15:07:21 -0700

Hello,

This is version 5 of the GUE draft.

Most of the changes are clarifications based on Bob Briscoe's in-depth review.

Some highlights:

- Added a terminology section
- Clarified that ports are set either for connection semantics or for
source port entropy
- Added motivation for random access of flags and fields
- Added an example of a GUE header with fields
- Clarified definitions of data messages and control messages
- Added reference to TOU about details of L4 encapsulation (need to
update TOU draft now)
- Adding diagrams to show how a received packet is reinjected for
protocol processing
- Added references to STUN and ICE in NAT discussion
- Added reference to RFC6438 in discussion about methods to get flow entropy
- Added "Benefits of GUE" section to motivations
- Added bit to security field (discussion with Lucy) by moving
checksum bit to end of allocated ones. Need to update extensions and
GUE security for this.
- Added guidelines about paramter negotian
- Fixed references

Our intent is to move GUE to be a WG item in int-area since it is a
generic protocol not really nvo3 specific. After Berlin IETF there was
call to take it up in int-area, however we didn't get official
acknowledgment of it being a WG item. Once we have that I assume the
draft name will change to reflect that.

Comments and review are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 2:57 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> nvo3 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nvo3