Subject: [nvo3] (no subject)

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 15:30:51 -0500

As is customary, I have done my AD review of draft-ietf-nvo3-use-case-14.
First, I would like to thank the authors - Lucy, Linda, Mehmet, Aldrin, &
Vishwas - for their work on this document.   It has noticeably improved
since the last time I reviewed it.

As part of my review, I do have a few minor comments below that I would
like to see addressed.   I am going to assume that the authors will be
responsive and request an IETF Last Call now - and schedule this document
for the Jan 19 IESG telechat.   I have also requested a Routing Directorate
review.

Minor:

1) Sec 1: "Independent address spaces in individual NVO3 networks such
as MAC, IP, TCP/UDP etc."  I have no idea what you mean by TCP/UDP being an
independent address space.  Please either clarify or remove it.

2) Sec 2:"It also means that the nodes in the infrastructure network (except
   tunnel end point nodes) carry encapsulated NVO3 traffic but not
   aware of the existence of NVO3 networks."
   From discussions on the NVO3 encapsulation, there seem to be some
perspectives that nodes in the infrastructure network may have reasons
(OAM, etc) to be aware of the NVO3 networks.  Can you tone this down to the
following?

 "It also means that the nodes in the infrastructure network (except tunnel
end point nodes) carry encapsulated NVO3 traffic but are not responsible
for decapsulating or encapsulating NVO3 traffic."

3) Sec 4.1:"For the servers equipped with Hypervisor-based virtual
switches, some may
   support VxLAN [RFC7348] encapsulation, some may support NVGRE
   encapsulation [RFC7637], and some may not support any encapsulation."

This should at least mention the existence of the NVO3 encapsulation and
indicate that VxLAN and NVGRE are not standards.  For instance:

"For the servers equipped with Hypervisor-based virtual switches, some may
   support the standardized NVO3 encapsulation, some may not support any
encapsulation, and some may support documented (e.g. VxLAN [RFC7348], NVGRE
[RFC7637], etc.) or proprietary encapsulations."

Nits:

i) Sec 2: "It also means that the nodes in the infrastructure network
(except
   tunnel end point nodes) carry encapsulated NVO3 traffic but not
   aware of the existence of NVO3 networks."
   Should be "...but are not aware..."

Thanks,
Alia