Subject: [nvo3] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-nvo3-mcast-framework-09

From: Tianran Zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 19:20:28 -0700

Reviewer: Tianran Zhou
Review result: Has Nits

I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG. These comments
were written with the intent of improving the operational aspects of the IETF
drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be included in AD
reviews during the IESG review. Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

This informational document discussed several methods to support multicast in
NVO3. My major concern is that I did not see a clear *framework*, while the
title seems to discuss this. The WG should have consensus on the scope and
content. However, I did not see any special operational or network management
related issue. It's ready, but please consider the following nits.

1. It seems the expiration date setting is wrong. So line 44 and page header
show the wrong information.

2. Line 139, ".." to "."

3. In section 1.1, "The NVEs can then trap ARP Request/ND Neighbor Solicitation
messages from the TSs that are attached to it and respond to them, thereby
eliminating the need to for broadcast/multicast of such messages."

Please expand the "TS" for it's first use, although I see an explanation in
line 184. And "it","them" here are not clear to me. And "need to for" seems a
nit.

4. Line 173, please expand the "MLD", or add an reference.

5. In section 3, "traffic between NVEs is transported using an encapsulation
such as Virtual eXtensible Local Area Network (VXLAN) [RFC7348,VXLAN-GPE]". To
me, VXLAN and VXLAN-GPE are different. So I suggest to say "Virtual eXtensible
Local Area Network (VXLAN) [RFC7348] and the extension [VXLAN-GPE]".

6. Line 236, ", ," to ","

7. Line 274, "tradeoffs" to "trade-offs", so as to be identical in this
document.

8. Line 392, ''' [RFC6513] "Multicast VPN" ''' to ''' "Multicast VPN"[RFC6513]
'''

9. Line 438, "LAN Emulation (LANE)LANE" to "LAN Emulation (LANE)"

10. Line 439, expand "RP"

11. Line 536, "implementaion" to "implementation"

12. Line 560, "former's" to "former"

13. Line 591, "an intermediate node (router)" to "an intermediate node (e.g.,
router)"