Subject: Re: comments on the format 06 draft
From: [email-masked] (Ulf Möller)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 98 01:18 +0200

>Here are comments on the format 06 draft.

Are there going to be more revisions of the draft?

If so, a note should be added to section 4.2 about interoperability
with PGP 2.6.x:

PGP 2.6.x rejects signature packets of length type 0 as invalid and
does not recognize public key packets of that type. The OpenPGP draft
just says that old format packets must be used with PGP 2.6.x, but
does not mention this restriction.

BTW, why do clear-signed messages have a "Hash:" header? The hash
algorithm is given in the signature packet.

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:26:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gene Tsudik <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ACM Comp. and Comm. Security: Reg-n Form and Call for Participation
Sender: [email-masked]

This is the Call for Participation for the  5th ACM Conference on 
Computer and Communications Security that will take place in San 
Francisco Nov 2-5.

Below please find the REGISTRATION form.
The official conference homepage is at: 

            http://www.bell-labs.com/user/reiter/ccs5/

It includes, among other things, the conference program, information
about invited talks, speakers and tutorials. 

------------------------- cut here ----------------------------------

Fifth ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security

                   REGISTRATION FORM

          Name:_____________________________________________

   Affiliation:_____________________________________________

Postal Address:_____________________________________________

               _____________________________________________

               _____________________________________________

         Phone:_____________________________________________

           Fax:_____________________________________________

         Email:_____________________________________________

Note: Notification of receipt of registration form will be sent via email.
      Address information will be distributed to all attendees.

Please mark the appropriate registration categories.  Payment must be
included and must be either by check in U.S. dollars, drawn on a U.S.
bank and made payable to "ACM Conference on Computer and
Communications Security", or by credit card.  Dates are strictly
enforced by postmark.

Attendees who register for tutorials can attend any of the four
half-day tutorials.  However, to assist in planning, please indicate
which tutorials you are likely to attend.

 Morning sessions (choose one):
  ___  Cryptography: Theory and Applications (Dan Boneh)
  ___  Programming Languages and Security (Martin Abadi, George Necula)

 Afternoon sessions (choose one):
  ___  Authentication protocol verification and analysis (Jon Millen)
  ___  Emerging models in electronic commerce (Doug Tygar)

The following tutorial registration fees include admission to all
tutorials, and must be paid in full if any tutorial is attended.

 Advance tutorial registration (on or before October 1, 1998)
  ___  ................................................................$300.00
  ___  Full-time Student...............................................$100.00
 Late tutorial registration (after October 1, 1998)
  ___  ................................................................$395.00
  ___  Full-time Student...............................................$100.00

Conference registration includes admission to the regular conference
programs (but not the tutorials), conference proceedings, continental
breakfast, lunch, and reception/dinner.

 Advance conference registration (on or before October 1, 1998)
  ___  Member, ACM or ACM SIGACT (Member #__________, required)........$315.00
  ___  Non-Member......................................................$390.00
  ___  Full-time Student...............................................$100.00
 Late conference registration (after October 1, 1998)
  ___  Member, ACM or ACM SIGACT (Member #__________, required)........$375.00
  ___  Non-Member......................................................$465.00
  ___  Full-time Student...............................................$100.00

Do you have any special requirements?_________________________________________

Please indicate your method of payment by checking the appropriate box:

  [ ] Check in U.S. funds drawn on a U.S. bank (PLEASE ENCLOSE WITH THIS FORM)

  Credit card authorization:
  (Charges will appear on your statement as made by ACM.
   Note: your credit card number will be processed by the ACM.)

         Visa        MasterCard      American Express     Diners Club
         [ ]            [ ]                [ ]                [ ]

  Credit Card Number:_________________________________________________________

  Card Holder Name:______________________________Expiration Date:_____________

Mail registration to:                     Or Email this form (CREDIT CARD
        Li Gong                           REGISTRATIONS ONLY) to:
        Sun Microsystems                  [email-masked] with the subject
        MS UCUP02-102                     ACM CCS registration
        901 San Antonio Road
        Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900, USA

>>>>SORRY, NO REFUNDS.<<<<

Hotel Reservations - The Fairmont Hotel, San Francisco
======================================================
The legendary Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco is situated atop the
exclusive Nob Hill area, with a panoramic view of the City and San
Francisco Bay.  Nearby, cable cars stop to carry guests to Union
Square and the Financial District as well as nearby Chinatown,
Ghirardelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf.

Hotel reservations must be made under the group name "Association of
Computing Machinery/ACM CCS".  The special group rate is

Main Building:  $155 single and $175 double occupancy
Tower/Bay View: $185 single and $205 double occupancy

There is an additional 14% tax.  These rates are guaranteed for the
period of the conference only.  The cut-off date for reservations is
Thursday, October 8, 1998.  Reservations made after this date will be
accepted on a space available basis, but due to the busy season,
reservations should be made as early as possible.  Reservations must
be guaranteed by a credit card or it must be accompanied by an advance
deposit for the first night.  You may cancel your individual
reservations up to 24 hours prior to arrival, after which your deposit
becomes non-refundable.  Please be advised the check-in time is after
3:00 p.m.; check-out is 1:00 p.m.

For reservations and information, contact:

The Fairmont Hotel
950 Mason Street
San Francisco, CA 94108
Tel: +1 415-772-5000
     +1 800-527-4727

Transportation from the San Francisco International Airport to the
hotel can be via taxi, which takes about 30 minutes and costs about
$30, or via shuttle at a cost of around $12.  Shuttle information can
be found at the airport.
=============================================================================

To: [email-masked]
Subject: comments on the format 06 draft
From: Kazu Yamamoto (=?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCOzNLXE9CSScbKEI=?=) <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 15:28:05 +0900
Lines: 37
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

Here are comments on the format 06 draft.

(1) Sec 3.4

As I pointed out in the IETF meeting, this section would mislead
readers. Please clarify that UTF-8 is used for fields of PGP packets,
not for message itself. 

(2) Sec 6.2

It is nice if the following note is included:

	Note: PGP 2.x uses "BEGIN PGP MESSAGE" for detached 
	signatures.

This may be included in Sec 14.

This change must be clarified in the next draft of PGP/MIME since
PGP/MIME relies on detached signatures.

(3) Sec 6.2

Again, usage of UTF-8 should be clarified for "Charset".

(4) Sec 7

In the last item, "the ASCII armored signature" is a little bit
ambiguous. For readability, "BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE" should be explicitly
referred.

--Kazu

From: "ted rallis" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 06:53:29 PDT
Sender: [email-masked]

--====================987654321_0==_
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

A draft for Elliptic Curve extensions to OpenPGP:

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
--====================987654321_0==_
Content-Type: text/plain; name="draft-ietf-openpgp-ecc-formats-00.txt"
Content-Disposition: attachment; 
    filename="draft-ietf-openpgp-ecc-formats-00.txt"

OpenPGP Working Group                                        Ted Rallis
INTERNET-DRAFT                                     Certicom Corporation
Expires February 20, 1999                               August 20, 1998

                         ECC Update to OpenPGP
                 <draft-ietf-openpgp-ecc-formats-00.txt>

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
   months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents
   at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as
   reference material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   To view the entire list of current Internet-Drafts, please check the
   "1id-abstracts.txt" listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
   Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), ftp.nordu.net (Northern
   Europe),  ftp.nis.garr.it (Southern Europe), munnari.oz.au (Pacific
   Rim), ftp.ietf.org (US East Coast), or ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

Abstract

   This document updates the OpenPGP message format to support an
   Elliptic Curve Cryptosystem (ECC). The document assumes that the
   reader is familiar with OpenPGP.

   The document defines OpenPGP message formats for the Elliptic Curve
   Encryption Scheme [ECES] and the Elliptic Curve Digital Signature
   Algorithm [ECDSA]. 

Rallis, Ted.                Informational                     [Page 1]

INTERNET-DRAFT        ECC Extentions to OpenPGP        August 20, 1998

Table of Contents

       Status of this Memo                                         1
       Abstract                                                    1
       Table of Contents                                           2
1.     Terms                                                       2
2.     Additions to Public-Key Encrypted Session Key Packets       2
3.     Additions to Version 4 Signature Packet Format              2
4.     Additions to Public Key Packet Formats                      3
4.1.   ECC Domain                                                  3
4.1.1. ECC Domain Tag Format                                       3
4.1.2. ECC Parameter Block                                         4
4.1.3. Basis Type Block                                            4
4.1.4. Curve Seed Block                                            5
5.     Additions to Secret Key Packet Formats                      5
6.     Updates to Public Key Algorithm Constants                   5
7.     Pre-defined Curves                                          5
8.     References                                                  5

1. Terms

   EC
       Elliptic Curve. An elliptic curve over a finite field is a set
       of points which satisfy a certain equation specified by 2 field
       elements a and b. See [X9.62] 4.2.

   ECES
       Elliptic Curve Encryption Scheme. An encryption algorithm using
       elliptic curves. See [X9.63] 5.8.1.

   ECDSA      
       EC Digital Signature Algorithm. A signature scheme using
       elliptic curves. See [X9.62].

2. Additions to Public-Key Encrypted Session Key Packets

   Add the following to section 5.1: Public-Key Encrypted Session Key
   Packets. 

   Algorithm Specific Fields for ECC Encryption:

     - MPI of ECES value QE | m + EncKey. [X9.63] 5.8.1.

   The value 'm' is as in the OpenPGP message format section 5.1.

3. Additions to Version 4 Signature Packet Format

   Add the following to Section 5.2.3: Version 4 Signature Packet
   Format.

Rallis, Ted.                Informational                     [Page 2]

INTERNET-DRAFT        ECC Extentions to OpenPGP        August 20, 1998

   Algorithm Specific Fields for ECDSA Signatures:

     - MPI of ECDSA value r as defined in [X9.62] 5.3.4.

     - MPI of ECDSA value s as defined in [X9.62] 5.3.4.

4. Additions to Public Key Packet Formats

   Add the following to Section 5.5.2: Public Key Packet Formats.

   Algorithm Specific Fields for ECC Public Keys: 

     - One byte defining the ECC domain [below: 4.1.1].

     - MPI of Public Key Q as encoded in [P1363] E.2.3.

     - ECC Parameter Block (possibly empty) [below: 4.1.2].

   The first byte of this field gives information about the algorithm
   domain. It can reference a predefined curve or specify a curve type
   which the next bytes will define. Use of predefined curves is
   recommended. This key format is applicable to any ECC algorithm.

4.1. ECC Domain

4.1.1. ECC Domain Tag Format

   The following defines a byte that specifies the curve domain. If the
   byte is 0x20 or greater the curve is predefined. Predefined domains
   are specified below. If the byte is 0x1F or less it defines the type
   of curve and signals that an ECC Parameter Block follows.

   Domain Tag:

     - 0x00 Custom Elliptic Curve over a prime field p.

     - 0x01 Custom Elliptic Curve over a field with a normal basis.

     - 0x02 Custom Elliptic Curve over a field with trinomial basis
       defined by k [below: 4.1.3].

     - 0x03 Custom Elliptic Curve over a field with pentanomial basis
       defined by k1,k2,k3 [below: 4.1.3].

     - 0x04 to 0x0F Reserved for future curve types.

     - 0x10 to 0x1F As 0x10 to 0x1F but expect a seed value [below: 4.1.4].

     - 0x20 Curve 1 [below: 7]

     - 0x21 Curve 2 [below: 7]

Rallis, Ted.                Informational                     [Page 3]

INTERNET-DRAFT        ECC Extentions to OpenPGP        August 20, 1998

     - 0x22 Curve 3 [below: 7]

     - 0x24 to 0xF0 Available for future curves. 

     - 0xF1 to 0xFF Used for experimental curves.

   Curves may be added via an addendum.

4.1.2. ECC Parameter Block

   If the domain tag specified a predefined curve (any tag after 0x1F)
   this block is empty.

     - MPI of field size p if p is a prime field, or exponent m if
       field is characteristic two.

     - MPI of Elliptic Curve parameter a. 

     - MPI of Elliptic Curve parameter b.

     - MPI of Curve Generating Point G as defined in [P1363] E.2.3.

     - MPI of the order r of G.

     - MPI of cofactor #E/r. (order of curve E divided by r).

     - Basis type block (possibly empty) [below: 4.1.3].

     - Curve seed block (possibly empty) [below: 4.1.4].

4.1.3. Basis Type Block

   Prime

     - Empty

   Optimal Normal Basis 

     - Empty

   Trinomial Basis

     - MPI of value k.

   Pentanomial Basis

     - MPI of value k1.

     - MPI of value k2.

Rallis, Ted.                Informational                     [Page 4]

INTERNET-DRAFT        ECC Extentions to OpenPGP        August 20, 1998

         - MPI of value k3.

4.1.4. Curve Seed Block

   If the domain tag is not in the range 0x10 to 0x1F this is empty.
   If it is in this range this block contains the following:

     - MPI of SEED.

   Seeds are used to verify that a custom curve was generated randomly.

5. Additions to Secret Key Packet Formats

   Add the following to Section 5.5.3: Public Key Packet Formats.

   Algorithm Specific Fields for ECC secret keys:

           - MPI of elliptic curve private key d.

   As above, this is applicable to any ECC algorithm. 

6. Updates to Public Key Algorithm Constants

   Change algorithm constants 18 and 19 from the following:

    18 Elliptic Curve (reserved for)

    19 ECDSA (reserved for)

   To the following:

    18 Elliptic Curve (ECES)

    19 ECDSA

7. Pre-defined Curves

   [Pre-defined Curves are to be determined.]

8. Encoding

   If a curve is over a prime field then the field elements are 
   large integers and easily encoded as MPIs. If it is not then 
   field elements should be encoded as defined in [P1363] 5.5.

Rallis, Ted.                Informational                     [Page 5]

INTERNET-DRAFT        ECC Extentions to OpenPGP        August 20, 1998

9. References

   [X9.62] ANSI X9.62 Working Draft, June 18, 1998.

   [P1363] IEEE P1363 Working Draft, July, 1998.

   [X9.63] ANSI X9.63 Working Draft, July 5, 1998.

Author

      Ted Rallis 
      Certicom Corporation
      [email-masked]

Other contributors

      Tim Dierks
      Certicom Corporation
      [email-masked]

      David Lucey
      Exodus Communications
      [email-masked]

Rallis, Ted.                Informational                     [Page 6]
--====================987654321_0==_
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

--====================987654321_0==_--

From: "ted rallis" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 06:53:36 PDT
Sender: [email-masked]

--====================987654321_0==_
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

A draft for Elliptic Curve extensions to OpenPGP:

Ted

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
--====================987654321_0==_
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

--====================987654321_0==_--

Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 23:55:41 -0500
To: OpenPGP mailing list <[email-masked]>
From: "John  W. Noerenberg" <[email-masked]>
Subject: 42nd IETF OpenPGP agenda
Sender: [email-masked]

I've managed to wait until the last possible second to publish this.  For
those who have been looking on the IETF agenda page in vain, I apologize.

I expect this to be a relatively short meeting.  Here is the outline:

Agenda Bashing 	5	 John Noerenberg
  In case anyone really wants to spend 2 hours on Friday morning at the end
of IETF week...

Formats		15	Jon Callas
  We're almost there.  Current status and next steps

ECC Addendum	15	Ted Rallis
  Consideration of Elliptic Curves

PGP/MIME	15	John Noerenberg
  Status and next steps

Wrap-up		5	John Noerenberg

For those of you in Chicago who see this before the meeting:

What are you doing up at this hour?  Don't you know we have a meeting in
the morning? <grin>

best,

john noerenberg
[email-masked]
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------
  --if we are to be saved, it will not be by Romans but by saints.
  -- Thomas Cahill, "how the Irish Saved Civilization", 1995
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 20:21:55 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: OpenPGP mailing list <[email-masked]>
Subject: Palm III (or PPw/OS3 upgrade) beta.
Sender: [email-masked]

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> I finally have a reasonable version that runs on the Palm III (or any with
> OS 3.0).  It uses the clipboard to move data, and the address book to hold
> the public keys (so you can beam them).  I don't have keysigning working
> yet, but the structure is there and it is a priority to finish.  It also
> handles all incoming algorithms (if the appropriate SSLeay libraries are
> there), but sticks to 3DES/SHA1 for encryption.  This includes the
> binaries for things not in the pilotSSLeay package, and source.

palmopgp12.tgz - fixes include keysigning (you can now beam your business
card w/ PGP pubkey, I can sign it and beam the sig packet back as a memo -
PGP doesn't beam itself).  Memory fixes, so it can encrypt large messages,
the UI is better, but there are still debug messages.

If anyone (in the us or ca) has a Palm III, and is interested, give it a
try. 

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 98 19:44 +0200
From: [email-masked] (Ulf =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=F6ller?=)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Bug: Public-Key Encrypted Session Key Packets?
Newsgroups: ulf.open-pgp
Organization: HR13
Cc: [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]

>>a two-octet checksum is appended which is equal to the
>>sum of the preceding octets, including the algorithm
>>identifier and session key, modulo 65536
>
>The CRC doesn't seem to include the algorithm identifiers, at least in RSA
>packets output by PGP 2.6.3i and 5.5i

That sentence should read something like "a two-octet checksum is appended
which is equal to the sum of the octets of the session key, modulo 65536".

Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:11:11 +0100
From: Ian Brown <[email-masked]>
To: IETF OpenPGP <[email-masked]>
CC: Raif Naffah <[email-masked]>
Subject: Bug: Public-Key Encrypted Session Key Packets?
Sender: [email-masked]

>5.1. Public-Key Encrypted Session Key Packets (Tag 1)
>...
>a two-octet checksum is appended which is equal to the
>sum of the preceding octets, including the algorithm
>identifier and session key, modulo 65536

The CRC doesn't seem to include the algorithm identifiers, at least in RSA
packets output by PGP 2.6.3i and 5.5i

Ian.

Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 01:26:01 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: OpenPGP mailing list <[email-masked]>
Subject: Last Call for openpgp toolkit, New Palm (OS 3) version
Sender: [email-masked]

At www.cryptography.org I uploaded opgp99x.tgz which contains some minor
fixes.  It will be in the new directory, but eventually will be moved into
pgp/opgp.

I finally have a reasonable version that runs on the Palm III (or any with
OS 3.0).  It uses the clipboard to move data, and the address book to hold
the public keys (so you can beam them).  I don't have keysigning working
yet, but the structure is there and it is a priority to finish.  It also
handles all incoming algorithms (if the appropriate SSLeay libraries are
there), but sticks to 3DES/SHA1 for encryption.  This includes the
binaries for things not in the pilotSSLeay package, and source.

look for palmopgp10.tgz if you are interested in beta testing.

--- reply to tzeruch - at - ceddec - dot - com ---

Date: Mon, 26 May 97 07:10:52 EST
From: "Jack" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: August
Sender: [email-masked]

We can send your Bulk Email promoting your Web site,your favorite program or
 help you sell your product thru our servers and you won't have to worry about your
 ISP cutting you off.

CALL   972-227-7286            CALL    972-227-7286

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 The Mailing List that you are being mailed from was filtered against the
 Global Remove List at: http://remove-list.com

Go to    http://remove-list.com add your name to the remove list

Date: Fri, 21 Aug 98 15:01 +0200
From: [email-masked] (Bodo Moeller)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: WG Last Call is Closed
Organization: Hamburg University
Sender: [email-masked]

"John  W. Noerenberg" <[email-masked]>:

>> When Jon posts the -06 draft, we will consider it for one more week.
[...]
> WG Last Call is closed.  A draft which incorporates the changes we've
> discussed with be submitted to the IESG, as soon as possible.

We just stumbled upon a bug in draft-ietf-openpgp-formats-06.txt.
The CRC-24 sample implementation given in the draft is as
follows:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
6.1. An Implementation of the CRC-24 in "C"

       #define CRC24_INIT 0xb704ce
       #define CRC24_POLY 0x1864cfb

       typedef long crc24;
       crc24 crc_octets(unsigned char *octets, size_t len)
       {
           crc24 crc = CRC24_INIT;
           int i;

           while (len--) {
               crc ^= *octets++;
               for (i = 0; i < 8; i++) {
                   crc <<= 1;
                   if (crc & 0x1000000)
                       crc ^= CRC24_POLY;
               }
           }
           return crc;
       }
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

This does not comply with what PGP 2.x expects.
The fix is to replace
               crc ^= *octets++;
by
               crc ^= ((*octets++) << 16);

(i. e., the MSB of the data is aligned with the MSB of the
initialization value; thus, viewing everything as polynomials in X,
we have

     CRC = (init * X^(8*len)  +  data * X^24) MOD poly,

which is probably what CRCs are usually expected to look like).

Bodo M"oller
<[email-masked]>

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:03:09 -0700
To: OpenPGP mailing list <[email-masked]>
From: "John  W. Noerenberg" <[email-masked]>
Subject: WG Last Call is Closed
Sender: [email-masked]

At 2:58 PM -0700 7/8/98, John  W. Noerenberg wrote:
>When Jon posts the -06 draft, we will consider it for one more week.  If
>there are no outstanding disputes, I'll declare it to be the consensus of
>the WG, and we'll invite the IESG to review it as a Proposed Standard.

One week has stretched into a month, but all issues appear to be resolved.
WG Last Call is closed.  A draft which incorporates the changes we've
discussed with be submitted to the IESG, as soon as possible.

I don't expect IESG action on it until after the August meeting, however.

john noerenberg
[email-masked]
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------
  --if we are to be saved, it will not be by Romans but by saints.
  -- Thomas Cahill, "how the Irish Saved Civilization", 1995
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 02:46:34 +0200
From: "CTM PowerMail announcements" <[email-masked]>
To: "Ietf Open Pgp" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [ANN] PowerMail 2.0.3 Mac OS now available
Sender: [email-masked]

This message is being sent from CTM Development to [email-masked] to
inform you about a new e-mail application available to members of the
Macintosh community. See the explanation at the end of this message about
why we sent you this message and how you can stop us sending you similar
messages in the future.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

            ANNOUNCEMENT -  CTM POWERMAIL 2.0.3 NOW SHIPPING
            Innovative Mac e-mail client includes high-speed
               find-by-content engine used in Mac OS 8.5;
                offers full protection from security bug;
                      demo version now available.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

  August 3rd, 1998 -- CTM Development announces the immediate availability
of CTM PowerMail 2.0.3, an exciting new Internet email client for
Macintosh.

   The result of over two years' work on user interface design and
performance tuning, PowerMail is positioned as a viable alternative to
general-purpose email applications in use on Mac OS today. It is the
easiest and most cost effective way to index and manage large quantities of
archived email. PowerMail is optimized for Mac OS 8, and this new version
is ideal for iMacs, G3 desktops, PowerBooks and even legacy 68k-based
systems.

//Product Features
   The new release builds on the original user interface and design of
PowerMail while offering access to multiple POP3 or IMAP4 mail servers,
mail filtering, multiple signatures, worldwide compatibility (71 languages
and text encodings are supported: English, Japanese, Korean, Russian,
Spanish, Swedish, French, Portuguese and others) and smart PPP usage for
mobile users. 

   Thanks to its import AND export of message databases in Eudora Netscape
Communicator mailbox formats (address books in tabulated text format),
migrating to PowerMail makes sense for users of Claris Emailer, Eudora
Light, Eudora Pro, Netscape Communicatory, Outlook Express, Mailsmith and
Cyberdog: PowerMail's unique find-by-message-content ability, based on
Apple's V-Twin (the same retrieval engine as Mac OS 8.5's forthcoming
Sherlock agent demonstrated in Steve Jobs' latest Macworld Expo keynote)
allows databases of over 10 000 messages to be searched in less than 4
seconds. PowerMail was distinguished by Apple as first runner-up of the
Apple Design Awards 1998 for its advanced adoption of Mac OS technologies.

//Fully protected from security bug
   All versions of PowerMail, including versions before 2.0.3, are immune
from the email "long name buffer overflow" security hole reported on July
28th by CIAC.

//System Requirements
   PowerMail requires a PowerPC, 68040, or 68030 processor, Mac OS 7.5.3 or
later including all versions of Mac OS 8 and approximately 2.5MB of RAM to
run (on Power Mac systems with VM enabled).

//Pricing and Availability
   PowerMail 2.0.3 is available immediately for secure purchase from CTM's
website at http://www.ctmdev.com with a price of $49. Discounted network
and educational site-licenses are available, and owners of PowerMail 1.x
have been offered upgrade terms.

//Free demo version
   A demonstration version of PowerMail 2.0.3 is available immediately for
download from http://www.ctmdev.com

TRADEMARKS: CTM PowerMail is a trademark of CTM Development. Apple, the
Apple logo, and Macintosh are registered trademarks and iMac is a trademark
of Apple Computer, Inc. Additional company and product names may be
trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are
respectfully acknowledged.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Please note: this one-time message is NOT being sent from a mailing list.
You are receiving it because you once expressed interest in PowerMail
from the address [[email-masked]] or somehow fell into our database.
We currently have no plans to write to your address again, but as this 
message is sent in compliance of the new e-mail bill, SECTION 301,
Paragraph (a)(2)(C) of S. 1618, further transmissions to you by the sender
of this  email may be stopped at no cost to you by sending a  reply to this
email address with the word "remove" in the subject line.

If on the other hand you WOULD like to be notified of future releases,
please send a message with the subject "subscribe powermail-announce" to
the address "[email-masked]" to be added to our low-volume
announcement list. 

Thank you !

__________________________________________________