Subject: IESG action on openpgp-format

From: "John W. Noerenberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 22:58:56 -0700

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

The IESG reviewed  openpgp-formats today.  They are willing to advance
the draft to PROPOSED STANDARD, however there remains one issue to
resolve.  openpgp-formats does not specify a method to register new
identifiers such as tags for algorithms.  For now, the IESG will
advance the document by adding a note saying that such requests must
be submitted to the IESG Security Area Director(s) to be be considered
or forwarded to an appropriate WG for their consideration.  This note
will be added to a new draft revision (-08) that will posted and then
submitted to the RFC Editor to be promoted to PROPOSED.

However, to go beyond PROPOSED we need to agree on a procedure to
register tags, and to formalize it in the protocol.

<removing the chairman's hat>

I think the IESG's note is basically the right thing to do.  I suggest
a new subsection be added to Section 12 Notes on Algorithms.  This
subsection specifies that requests to assign new algorithm tags be
submitted to the IANA for registration.  When the IANA receives such a
request, they will request that the IESG Security Area Director(s)
review the request.  The Area Directors will assign the task of
reviewing the request to a knowledgable group. This group may be a
currently active WG of the IETF working on OpenPGP-related protocols,
members of the IAB knowledgeable about OpenPGP protocols, or other
individuals recognized as knowledgeable in this area.

Comments?

---

From: Bill Frantz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 08:26:08 -0800

>register tags, and to formalize it in the protocol.

All Right!

>individuals recognized as knowledgeable in this area.

That sounds like a good proceedure to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Frantz       | If hate must be my prison  | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lock, then love must be    | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email-masked] | the key.     - Phil Ochs   | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

---

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 11:04:02 -0700

I'm editing up a couple of paragraphs to reflect this IANA policy.

I'll be sending it out this afternoon, and I'm going to CC this list unless
someone hollers.

Yes, I know it's an 140K message. However, if there are any more
last-minute things that have to be done, I want to be able to do them this
weekend or Monday. There better not be, but I don't want to have an oops in
there.

	Jon

-----
Jon Callas                                  [email-masked]
CTO, Total Network Security                 3965 Freedom Circle
Network Associates, Inc.                    Santa Clara, CA 95054
(408) 346-5860                              
Fingerprints: D1EC 3C51 FCB1 67F8 4345 4A04 7DF9 C2E6 F129 27A9 (DSS)
              665B 797F 37D1 C240 53AC 6D87 3A60 4628           (RSA)

---

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 17:56:50 -0700

At 11:04 AM 10/9/98 -0700, Jon Callas wrote:

Three people hollered. We'll get it up soon.

	Jon

-----
Jon Callas                                  [email-masked]