Subject: RE: PGP 6.5.1 - word list and SDAs?

From: "Salzman, Noah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 11:53:41 -0700

You can find the list of words -- and a short description by PRZ -- at the
back of the User's Guide that ships with 6.5.1.

--Noah--

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Roessler [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 1999 2:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: PGP 6.5.1 - word list and SDAs?

It would have been nice to have had some specifications on _this_
list _beforehand_:

- What do the SDAs look like?  Not everyone is using the same
  platform, so documentation of the data format would have been nice.

- What's the word list mapping for fingerprints?  I think this
  should be published at least as an informational RFC, so
  third-party products can produce compatible "fingerprint
  sentences".

Thanks, tlr  

----- Forwarded message from Cody Brownstein <[email-masked]> -----

Date:         Tue, 6 Jul 1999 18:21:39 -0700
From: Cody Brownstein <[email-masked]>
Subject:      PGP 6.5.1 has been released
To: [email-masked]

<http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html>

NEW FEATURES IN 6.5.1

PGPnet. PGPnet is a landmark product in the history of PGP. PGPnet secures
all TCP/IP communications between itself and any other machine running
PGPnet. PGPnet has been successfully tested with Cisco routers(requires
Cisco IOS 12.0(4) or later with IPSec TripleDES), Linux FreeS/WAN, and many
others.

Self-Decrypting Archives. You may now encrypt files or folders into
Self-Decrypting Archives (SDA) which can be used by users who do not even
have PGP. The archives are completely independent of any application,
compressed and protected by PGP's strong cryptography.

Integrated PGP Command Line. This version incorporates the popular command
line version of PGP for Windows platforms. This product provides you a
convenient way to integrate PGP with other Windows applications and
automated processes on your desktop system. Please note that this is
intended for single user/workstation use. For use on servers, customers are
required to purchase the PGP Command Line/Batch Server product. Please
contact your local Network Associates Sales representative for more
information.

Automated Freespace Wiping. PGP's Freespace Wipe feature now allows you to
use the Windows Task Scheduler to schedule periodic secure wiping of the
freespace on your disk.

Hotkeys. The Use Current Window feature has been significantly enhanced by
the addition of Hotkeys. By pressing the configured key combination, the
Encrypt/Decrypt/Sign functions can be automatically invoked in zero clicks
without using PGPtray.

Fingerprint Word List. When verifying a PGP public key fingerprint, you can
now choose to view the fingerprint as a word list instead of hexadecimal
characters. The word list in the fingerprint text box is made up of special
authentication words that PGP uses and are carefully selected to be
phonetically distinct and easy to understand without phonetic ambiguity.

Support for Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express 5.0. This version of PGP adds
support for sending and receiving encrypted e-mail in Microsoft Outlook 2000
and Outlook Express 5.0.

HTTP Proxy Support. If you are behind a corporate firewall with an HTTP
proxy server, PGP now supports accessing HTTP keyservers through the proxy.
To use this feature, you must configure the proxy server address in your
Internet Explorer preferences.

Smart Word Wrapping. The word wrapping in PGP now automatically rewraps
paragraphs and even quoted paragraphs resulting in much cleaner signed
messages.

-----
Cody Brownstein
<[email-masked]>
-----

PGP Fingerprint:
291B 5051 B97F 8B30 49F8  A068 15CF 26D6 E4DE 5291

----- End forwarded message -----

---

From: Jack Repenning <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 14:45:39 -0700

>back of the User's Guide that ships with 6.5.1.

... although the Guide has the same bug as the UI: it's not obvious whether 
the list should be read top-to-bottom or left-to-right.  By checking one 
easy case, I believe both Guide and UI read left-to-right on the top row, 
then left-to-right on the second row, and so on.

Informix Software, Inc.        Jack Repenning
Config/Release Mgmt            [email-masked]
4100 Bohannon Drive            M/S: 4100/2
Menlo Park, CA 94025           FAX: 650/926-6571
VOICE: 650/926-1044               PAGE: 800/781-6182
PGP/RSA: D24B E2C2 9AFB 7C24 : 7E59 7885 525D 644E
PGP/DSS: 955C 44AD 8FCE 77D4 9494 \
           : 4AB2 51F1 3EED 3B82 E870

---

From: "Salzman, Noah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:54:04 -0700

To the best of my knowledge, Jack is right.

--Noah--