Subject: OpenPGP minutes

From: "John W. Noerenberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:42:59 -0700

OpenPGP - 45th IETF

14-July-1999

John Noerenberg opened the meeting at 9:05 AM. Started attendance list, etc.

Agenda:
   Agenda Bashing
   Key Server Synchronization protocols
   RFC2440 Revisions
   Advance to Draft, Collect $200
   RFC2015 Revisions
   Summary

Agenda Bashing

Key Server Synchronization protocols

   2 Proposals
     Bill Geiger - Hash table exchange
     Marcel Waldvogel - Push-pull flooding
   Marcel Waldvogel thesis:
   <http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/tik/education/sadas/SASS1998-33/thesis.ps.gz>
   Bill Geiger: proposal introduction published in
   <http://www.imc.org/ietf-open-pgp/mail-archive/>
   in a messaged dated: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:43:36 -0500

   JN: Key Server sync protocols are important. However, they are not
   in our charter. We need to decide whether to change the charter or
   create a new WG.
 
   JN recommended WG report to SAAG that a new working group should be explored
   for Key Server Synchronization protocols.  After some discussion, 
there were no
   objections to this recommendation.

RFC2440 Revisions

   JC: Need to decide what should be done to 2440 to get it ready for draft.
       Discussed some of the below.

   V5 Signatures

     Need to have larger signatures to accommodate the equivalent of
     certificates. Possible solution is to add up a 4 byte length. Only
     reason to hold off is to think about if anything else needs to
     change other than the length field format.

   [ Side conversation about closing off the group and leaving the
   fixes to a future group. JN: OpenPGP will exist until 2440 goes to
   Draft so we can go and fix this. In the interest of going to draft,
   the changes should be short at this time. MDC is clearly the most
   important.]

   MDC Data packet - Need a way to detect packet damage. Currently, a
     packet may be maliciously damaged by re-arranging blocks. Easiest
     way to fix this is to append a hash, preferably sha-1.

     Encryption Mode Normalization

   Features subpackets - This will provide a way for different PGPs to
     know what each other supports and what they do not.

     Gestalt for non-mandatory features

   Large Block ciphers clarifications

   Suggestions?

Advance to Draft, Collect $200
   6 months have passed
   Requirements
     2 implementations
     No IPR problems
     6 months of experience

   JN: We have the experience but we do not have the interoperability
   fully checked. Suggest: Enumerating all the musts and publishing a
   document so implementors can easily see requirements for
   compliance. Finally, we can get implementors into a room for
   testing.

   Implementors' survey & results are at:
     noc.rutgers.edu/~mione/ietf/ietfopgp.html

   IMC (Internet Mail Consortium) maintains the OpenPGP 
<http://www.imc.org/ietf-open-pgp/mail-archive/>mailing list archive.
   To subscribe and unsubscribe:
     List-subscribe: <mailto:[email-masked]?body=subscribe>
     List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email-masked]?body=unsubscribe>

RFC2015 Revisions

   Dave Del Torto
     1 outstanding item: 'Openpgp signed data'. 2 variations were
       presented.
     Variation 1 is from Tom Rossler. Variation 2 is the original
       written by Dave Del Torto. The main difference is that variation
     1 leaves out md5 as a required hash for the MICALG.

     The consensus seemed to be we should remove MUST for md5 hash in
     the MICALG.

     Discussion of parallel signatures. This is a way of dividing a
     message into multiparts and sign each individually. Allows you to
     verify signatures independently. (This text is in section 8 of the
     new draft to be submitted today.)

     The aim at this time is that parallel signatures will be OPTIONAL
     in the revision to 2015.

Summary

     Misc question from audience. Will feature packets be a MUST
     implement. JC: No.

     Action items
       Jon Callas - New draft to replace 2440.

       Tony Mione - enumerate MUSTs in 2440.

       Dave, Thomas, Mike - New draft of 2015.

       WG as a whole - WG last call on Son of 2440.
                                       Son of 2015.
                         before Nov.
       Tony tentatively volunteered to write a charter and call a bof
                                       for the PGP keysync work.

John closed the meeting at 9:55 AM.

Minutes submitted by Tony Mione

john noerenberg
[email-masked]
   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
   The man that can most truly be accounted brave is he who best
   knows the meaning of what is sweet in life and what is terrible,
   and then goes out undeterred to meet what is to come.
   -- Pericles, "Funeral Oration", 479 B.C.
   ----------------------------------------------------------------------