Subject: Re: e-mail programs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 08:44:46 -0400 (EDT)

Matthew Sherborne <[email-masked]> wrote on 1 Oct 1999:

 >Does anyone know of any e-mail programs that incorporate PGP ?

There are of course the standard PGP plugins (MS exchange,
Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora etc.)

For our own e-mail program (KT-MAIL, details see
"www.redtenbacher.de/info/"), I had to choose a different
approach, however:

Many of our customers are city administrations (in South-Western
Germany). These want to have secure e-mail connections via the
Internet, without having to teach their many employees anything
about cryptography or key management.

So, we created a component for the mailserver PC in a LAN where
receipients can be registered for automatic encryption/signature,
and any incoming mail is automatically decrypted before being
passed on to the mail clients. (This is, of course, only possible
because the city administrations need no true end-to-end-security
but just a city-to-city-security.)

We made our life easy by doing the actual encryption/decryption
via calling a command line version of PGP 5.0i. (This could be
changed to any other OpenPGP conforming implementation, of
course.)

In this way, thousands of city employees utilize PGP encryption
while only the LAN administrator needs to know anything about
PGP or key management.

- Wolfgang Redtenbacher

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Redtenbacher Software                Tel.:   +49 7159 17046
Roemerstr. 11/1                      Fax:    +49 7159 17047
D-71272 Renningen                    e-mail: [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Salzman, Noah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:42:59 -0700

Two MUAs that natively build-in PGP:

http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/  (The Bat, for Windows)

http://www.southsoft.com/products.html  (PMMail98, Windows and OS/2)

Here's another one, where PGP is built in on the server (Exchange, Lotus,
POP) but is not built in on the client.

http://www.gficomms.com/mesindex.htm

--Noah--

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Sherborne [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 1999 4:30 AM
To: Open PGP Mailing List
Subject: e-mail programs

Matthew Sherborne
Senior Programmer
Dataworks Design International

Portable e-mail for everyone -> www.eze-mail.net