Subject: Re: Encrypt subject

From: [email-masked] ("Hal Finney")
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:13:22 -0700 (PDT)

Karl Kashofer writes:
> So this would adhere to the standards, and allow to embed headers inside
> the PGP encryption block ?
>
> Could you by any means describe this in more detail ?
>
> I would try to bring it to the attention of enigmail developers, maybe
> they are interested in it.

Well, PGP/MIME is http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3156.txt which is based on
the MIME security extensions, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1847.txt .
The message/rfc822 type for embedding mail with headers is described in
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2046.txt section 5.2.1.

The implementation concept would be that when you decrypt a PGP/MIME
message and find that the inner type is message/rfc822, you would promote
the relevant mail headers, particularly Subject, from the inner type to
the outer message.  This might also include source information ("From"),
for example if the message were delivered via an anonymous remailer
network.  Maybe some other headers could also be usefully encrypted.

Hal Finney