Subject: Re: [openpgp] The checksum may appear

From: Ángel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 21:35:24 +0200

On 2021-04-28 at 23:58 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2021, Ángel wrote:
> 
> It is not clear to me what the WG would like to do here on the
> "optional checksum" item.
> 
> Ángel proposed something, Werner agreed, but then Ángel wasn't sure
> anymore. It would be good to get more and/or clarified views on this
> issue.
> 
> Paul

Hello Paul

There are two points here.

I proposed a change. Its summary could be "Make explicit that the
checksum is optional".

Werner agreed. But he also mentioned "making the CRC a SHOULD create".
He might have read that into my text (it wasn't my intention on that
patch), or it could have been meant as "we should also make it a
SHOULD".

Making the checksum a SHOULD is the piece I discuss in my second mail,
and the one I'm unsure about.

I still support my initial change (well, if it doesn't turn out to be
unclear).

So there are two issues:
a) if the proposed text is good
b) whether adding a line "clients SHOULD create a checksum"

Best regards