Subject: [OPS-AREA] moving cops-pr to historic

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:12:29 +0200

Hi,

during the OPSAWG meeting, the topic came up whether COPS-PR should be
classified as historic. RFC 2026 defines historic as follows:

   A specification that has been superseded by a more recent
   specification or is for any other reason considered to be obsolete is
   assigned to the "Historic" level.  (Purists have suggested that the
   word should be "Historical"; however, at this point the use of
   "Historic" is historical.)

   Note: Standards track specifications normally must not depend on
   other standards track specifications which are at a lower maturity
   level or on non standards track specifications other than referenced
   specifications from other standards bodies.  (See Section 7.)

Note that SNMPv1/SNMPv2c was made historic when SNMPv3 reached
the same maturity level and this was a clear statement that the
IETF won't develop SNMPv1/SNMPv2c further. Of course, this did
not make implementations go away and nobody really expected that.
But moving a protocol to historic makes it clear (to those who
care) that a protocol is considered a dead end and it explains
what to use instead.

Now that we have NETCONF in place and YANG almost in place, we
could start an action to move COPS-PR (RFC 3084) and at the same
time SPPI (RFC 3159) and the PIP modules (RFC 3317, RFC 3318, RFC
3571) to historic.

I am bringing this up here since I believe this might concern the OPS
area at large and not everybody might have been at the OPSAWG meeting.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:14:58 +0300 (EEST)

> time SPPI (RFC 3159) and the PIP modules (RFC 3317, RFC 3318, RFC

Supported.  I'm not sure if I've ever heard of COPS-PR being used in 
operational environments except in some specialized setups.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Steve Moulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:08:32 -0400

I am in favor of moving these RFCs to historic.

> time SPPI (RFC 3159) and the PIP modules (RFC 3317, RFC 3318, RFC

---
Steve Moulton        SNMP Research, Inc            voice: +1 865 573 1434
Sr Software Engineer 3001 Kimberlin Heights Rd.    fax: +1 865 573 9197
moulton at snmp.com  Knoxville, TN 37920-9716 USA  http://www.snmp.com