Subject: [OPS-AREA] Fwd: Writable MIB Module IESG Statement

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 08:01:16 +0000

In case you missed that announcement....
It's officially posted at 
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/writable-mib-module.html

Regards, Benoit

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Writable MIB Module IESG Statement
Date: 	Sun, 2 Mar 2014 10:01:43 -0800
From: 	The IESG <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	<[email-masked]>
To: 	IETF Announcement List <[email-masked]>

The IESG is aware of discussions in the OPS area and in a number of
working groups about the current practice for standards-based approaches
to configuration. The OPS area has shown strong support for the use of
NETCONF/YANG while many working groups continue to specify MIB modules
for this purpose. The IESG wishes to clarify this situation with this
statement:

- IETF working groups are therefore encouraged to use the NETCONF/YANG
   standards for configuration, especially in new charters.

- SNMP MIB modules creating and modifying configuration state should
   only be produced by working groups in cases of clear utility and
   consensus to use SNMP write operations for configuration,  and in
   consultation with the OPS ADs/MIB doctors.