Subject: [OPS-AREA] Document Action: Differentiated Services Quality of Service Policy Information Base to Historic

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 11:36:50 -0700

The IESG has approved changing the status of the following document:
- Differentiated Services Quality of Service Policy Information Base
  (rfc3317) to Historic

This document action is documented at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-copspr-sppi-to-historic/

A URL of the affected document is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc3317/

Status Change Details:

   This memo reclassifies RFC 3084, COPS Usage for Policy Provisioning,
   and RFC 3159, Structure of Policy Provisioning Information, as well as

   three Policy Information Bases (RFC 3317, RFC 3318, and RFC 3571) to 
   Historic status.  

  The procedure 2 in 
  http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/designating-rfcs-as-historic.html
  has been followed.

  The justification for doing so can be found in, which was initially in 

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-schoenw-opsawg-copspr-historic-04,
  is copied over here.

==============================================================
Network Working Group                                   J. Schoenwaelder
Internet-Draft                                  Jacobs University Bremen
Intended status: Informational                            April 13, 2016
Expires: October 15, 2016

            Reclassification of COPS-PR and SPPI to Historic
              draft-schoenw-opsawg-copspr-historic-04.txt

Abstract

   This memo requests the reclassification of RFC 3084, COPS Usage for
   Policy Provisioning, RFC 3159, Structure of Policy Provisioning
   Information, RFC 3317, Differentiated Services Quality of Service
   Policy Information Base, RFC 3318, Framework Policy Information Base,
   and RFC 3571, Framework Policy Information Base for Usage, Feedback,
   to Historic status.

Status of This Memo

   This Internet-Draft is submitted in full conformance with the
   provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF).  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.  The list of current Internet-
   Drafts is at http://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/current/.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   This Internet-Draft will expire on October 15, 2016.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (c) 2016 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
   document authors.  All rights reserved.

   This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
   Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
   (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
   publication of this document.  Please review these documents
   carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
   to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
   include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of

Schoenwaelder           Expires October 15, 2016                [Page 1]

Internet-Draft        COPS-PR and SPPI to Historic            April 2016

   the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
   described in the Simplified BSD License.

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   2
   2.  Reclassification  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   2
   3.  Security Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   3
   4.  IANA Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   3
   5.  References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   3
     5.1.  Normative References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   3
     5.2.  Informative References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
   Author's Address  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4

1.  Introduction

   The purpose of this document is to request and explain the
   reclassification of the COPS Usage for Policy Provisioning (COPS-PR)
   [RFC3084] and the Structure of Policy Provisioning Information (SPPI)
   [RFC3159] along with the Differentiated Services Quality of Service
   Policy Information Base [RFC3317], the Framework Policy Information
   Base [RFC3318], and the Framework Policy Information Base for Usage
   Feedback [RFC3571] to Historic status.

2.  Reclassification

   The COPS-PR protocol was designed to provision policy information
   from a Policy Decision Point (PDP) to a Policy Enforcement Point
   (PEP).  The SPPI data modeling language supports COPS-PR by providing
   a data modeling language for specifying Policy Information Bases
   (PIBs).

   The COPS-PR / SPPI technology has seen limited deployment.  The
   Quality of Service (QoS) provisioning data models created within the
   IETF [RFC3317], [RFC3318], [RFC3571] did not reach IETF consensus for
   publication on the standards-track and have since then been
   Informational documents.

   An IAB Network Management Workshop held in 2002 [RFC3535] led to the
   creation of the XML-based Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF)
   [RFC6241] and an associated data modeling language called YANG
   [RFC6020].  These new protocols are specifically designed to match
   the needs of network operators.  Configuration management related
   efforts in the IETF Operations and Management Area are now centered
   on NETCONF and YANG.

   It is therefore appropriate to reclassify COPS-PR and SPPI to
   Historic status, as described in [RFC2026].  Along with this action,

Schoenwaelder           Expires October 15, 2016                [Page 2]

Internet-Draft        COPS-PR and SPPI to Historic            April 2016

   the QoS provisioning data models written in the SPPI language and
   published in [RFC3317], [RFC3318], and [RFC3571] are requested to be
   reclassified to Historic status as well.

3.  Security Considerations

   Reclassifying RFC 3084, RFC 3159, RFC 3317, RFC 3318, and RFC 3571
   has no security implications.

4.  IANA Considerations

   The IANA rules for registering PIB modules defined in [RFC3159]
   remain in force.

5.  References

5.1.  Normative References

   [RFC2026]  Bradner, S., "The Internet Standards Process -- Revision
              3", BCP 9, RFC 2026, DOI 10.17487/RFC2026, October 1996,
              <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc2026>.

   [RFC3084]  Chan, K., Seligson, J., Durham, D., Gai, S., McCloghrie,
              K., Herzog, S., Reichmeyer, F., Yavatkar, R., and A.
              Smith, "COPS Usage for Policy Provisioning (COPS-PR)", RFC
              3084, DOI 10.17487/RFC3084, March 2001,
              <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3084>.

   [RFC3159]  McCloghrie, K., Fine, M., Seligson, J., Chan, K., Hahn,
              S., Sahita, R., Smith, A., and F. Reichmeyer, "Structure
              of Policy Provisioning Information (SPPI)", RFC 3159, DOI
              10.17487/RFC3159, August 2001,
              <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3159>.

   [RFC3317]  Chan, K., Sahita, R., Hahn, S., and K. McCloghrie,
              "Differentiated Services Quality of Service Policy
              Information Base", RFC 3317, DOI 10.17487/RFC3317, March
              2003, <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3317>.

   [RFC3318]  Sahita, R., Ed., Hahn, S., Chan, K., and K. McCloghrie,
              "Framework Policy Information Base", RFC 3318, DOI 10
              .17487/RFC3318, March 2003,
              <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3318>.

   [RFC3571]  Rawlins, D., Kulkarni, A., Ho Chan, K., Bokaemper, M., and
              D. Dutt, "Framework Policy Information Base for Usage
              Feedback", RFC 3571, DOI 10.17487/RFC3571, August 2003,
              <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3571>.

Schoenwaelder           Expires October 15, 2016                [Page 3]

Internet-Draft        COPS-PR and SPPI to Historic            April 2016

5.2.  Informative References

   [RFC3535]  Schoenwaelder, J., "Overview of the 2002 IAB Network
              Management Workshop", RFC 3535, DOI 10.17487/RFC3535, May
              2003, <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3535>.

   [RFC6020]  Bjorklund, M., Ed., "YANG - A Data Modeling Language for
              the Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF)", RFC 6020,
              DOI 10.17487/RFC6020, October 2010,
              <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc6020>.

   [RFC6241]  Enns, R., Ed., Bjorklund, M., Ed., Schoenwaelder, J., Ed.,
              and A. Bierman, Ed., "Network Configuration Protocol
              (NETCONF)", RFC 6241, DOI 10.17487/RFC6241, June 2011,
              <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc6241>.

Author's Address

   Juergen Schoenwaelder
   Jacobs University Bremen
   Campus Ring 1
   28725 Bremen
   Germany

   Email: [email-masked]

Personnel 

   Benoit Claise is the responsible Area Director.