Subject: [OPS-NM] Call for papers - CISIS 2007: First International Conference on Complex, Intelligent and Software Intensive Systems

From: "Nguyen Manh Tho" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 21:19:29 +0100

(Apologies for multiple copies due to cross postings. Please send to 
interested colleagues and students)

Call for Papers

#####################################################################
 First International Conference on Complex, Intelligent and Software 
                   Intensive Systems (CISIS-2007)
                
                   http://www.cisis-conference.eu/

                    April 10 - April 13, 2007
                        Vienna, Austria

#####################################################################

To be held in conjunction with: ARES-2007 International Conference
                http://www.ares-conference.eu/

Aim
======
The aim of the conference is to deliver a platform of scientific
interaction between the three interwoven challenging areas of
research and development of future ICT-enabled applications:

- Software Intensive Systems

- Complex systems

- Intelligent Systems 

Software Intensive Systems are systems which heavily deal with other
systems, sensors, actuators, devices, other software systems and
users. More and more domains are involved with software intensive
systems, i.e. automotive, telecommunication systems, embedded systems
in general, industrial automation systems, business applications. The
outcome of web services delivers a new platform for enabling software
intensive systems. 

The conference will focus on tools, practically relevant and
heoretical foundations for engineering software intensive systems.

Complex Systems Research is focused on the overall understanding of
systems rather than its components. The ICT-enabling aspect of
Complex Systems is the focus of the contributions to be presented at
CISIS 2007. Complex Systems are very much characterised by the
changing environments in which they act and by their multiple
internal and external interactions. They evolve and adapt through
internal and external dynamic interactions.

The development of Intelligent Systems and agents which is more and
more characterised by the use of ontologies and their logical
foundations build a fruitful impulse for both Software intensive
Systems and Complex Systems.

Recent research in the field of intelligent systems –robotics, 
neuroscience, artificial intelligence, and cognitive sciences- builds
an important factor for the future development and innovation of
software intensive and complex systems.

CISIS 2007 is aiming at delivering a forum for in-depth scientific
discussions amongst the three communities leading to significant
contributions in areas such as:

- Monitoring and Control of Large Systems or Environments.
- Managing the hetrogeneity of knowledge by means of ontologies
- Use of Sevice Oriented Architectures for complex applications in
  business and industries
- The consideration of Software Intensive Systems as Complex Systems
- Enabling of Systems Biology concepts as software intensive conmplex
  systems
- Knowledge management of complex IT-systems etc. 

Scope
=========
Networks of today are going through a rapid evolution. Different
kinds of systems with different characteristics are emerging and they
are integrating in heterogeneous networks. For these reasons, there
are many interconnection problems which may occur at different levels
in the hardware and software design of communicating entities and
communication networks. These kinds of networks need to manage an
increasing usage demand, provide support for a significant number of
services, guarantee their QoS, and optimize the utilization
of network resources. Therefore, architectures and algorithms in
these networks become very complex and it seems imperative to focus
on new models and methods as well as mechanisms, which can enable the
network to perform adaptive behaviors. Many new computing
technologies have emerged as new paradigms for solving complex
problems by enabling large-scale aggregation and sharing of
computational, data and other geographically distributed resources.

Rapid advances are being reported by many researchers and forums as
regards understanding numerous issues in such paradigms, from
theoretic to application aspects. Moreover, the continuous
development of Internet and the construction of new infrastructures
are making possible the development of large scale applications
from many fields of science and engineering.

To deal with complexity, we should construct physically instantiated
systems that can perceive, understand, and interact with their
environment – but also evolve in order to achieve human-like
performance in activities requiring context-specific knowledge. This
is far beyond the current state of the art and will remain so for
many years to come. Therefore, many research efforts are required to
make headway towards this vision. The strategic challenges are
motivated by recent research in the field of intelligent systems – 
robotics, neuroscience, artificial intelligence, and cognitive
sciences.

In recent years, a large community of researchers has begun to 
realize the importance of brain-body interaction for understanding
intelligence and its central role in a wide range of processes
including perception, object manipulation, movement, and high-level
cognition.

The research challenges include theoretical frameworks based on the
notions of embodiment, the dynamical systems metaphor, complete
agents rather than individual components, self-reconfiguration and
self-repair, morphology and development. Progress in the theoretical
underpinnings of embodied intelligence will have strong technological
implications in areas including robotics, actuator technology,
materials, self-assembling systems. Research in intelligent
and cognitive systems is an interdisciplinary field requiring the
cooperation of researchers from artificial intelligence, neuroscience
(including cognitive and computational), psychology (cognitive and
developmental), linguistics, developmental biology, robotics (and 
engineering in general), biomechanics, and dynamical systems.

Software has become a central part of a rapidly growing range of 
applications, products and services from all sectors of economic
activity. Systems in which software interacts with other software, 
systems, devices, sensors and with people are called software-
intensive systems. Examples include large-scale heterogeneous 
systems, embedded systems for automotive and avionics applications,
telecommunications, wireless ad hoc systems, business applications
with an emphasis on web services. Our daily activities increasingly
depend on complex software-intensive systems that are becoming ever
more distributed, heterogeneous, decentralized and inter-dependent,
and that are operating more and more in dynamic and often
unpredictable environments.

There exist different kinds of complexity in the development of
software. Software systems grew larger, the focus shifted from the
complexity of developing algorithms to the complexity structuring
large systems, and then to the additional complexities in building
distributed, concurrent systems. In the next ten to fifteen years we
will have to face another level of complexity arising from the
fact that systems have to operate in large, open and non-
deterministic environments: the complexity of knowledge, interaction
and adaptation. Instead of developing computer-oriented systems where
people have to adapt to the computer we have to develop human-
oriented systems into which computers integrate seamlessly. Also,
the requirements for software quality will dramatically increase. But
our current methods are not sufficient to deal with adaptive software
in a dynamic environment, especially not for large systems with
complex interactions. We need to develop practically useful and
theoretically well founded principles, methods and tools for
engineering future software-intensive systems.

All the complex systems depend on software that controls the behavior
of individual components and the interaction between components, and
on software which interacts with other software, systems, devices,
sensors and with people. In other words: they depend on software-
intensive systems.

The CISIS-2007 seeks original contributions in all relevant areas,
including but not limited to the following topics.

Topics of interest
======================
•    Agent Technology
•    Human-Oriented Systems
•    Evolving Systems
•    Intelligent and Cognitive Systems and Applications
•    Genetic Programming and Algorithms
•    Fuzzy Logic and Fuzzy Systems
•    Neuro-computing and Applications
•    Knowledge-based Systems
•    Dynamic Systems
•    Parallel and Distributed Algorithms
•    Databases and Data Mining
•    Grid and P2P Infrastructures 
•    Data Intensive and Computing Intensive Applications
•    Scheduling, Resource Discovery and Allocation
•    JXTA-based Applications
•    Large-scale Collaborative Problem Solving Environments
•    Methodology and Practice of Semantic Grid and Web
•    Web and Grid Service-based Applications
•    Ubiquitous Computing Applications
•    Pervasive Computing and Applications
•    Multimedia Systems and Applications
•    Human-Robots
•    Embedded Systems
•    Overlay Networks for P2P Systems
•    Autonomous Systems
•    Autonomic Computing
•    Bio-inspired Systems and Applications
•    Fault-Tolerant Systems
•    Heterogeneous Networks
•    Heterogeneous Wireless Networks
•    Sensor Networks
•    Ad Hoc Networks
•    Sensor and Actor Networks
•    High-Speed Networks
•    Routing Algorithms
•    Software QoS
•    Adaptive Software-Intensive Systems
•    Self-Modifying Software Systems
•    Self-Designing and Self-Maintaining software

Important Dates
==================
•    Submission Deadline: November 30, 2006
•    Author Notification: January 10, 2007
•    Author Registration: January 21, 2007
•    Proceedings Version: January 21, 2007
•    Workshop Dates: April 10-April13, 2007

Submission Guidelines
=========================
Authors are invited to submit research and application papers
following the IEEE Computer Society Proceedings Manuscripts style:
two columns, single-spaced, including figures and references, using
10 fonts, and number each page. You can confirm the IEEE Computer
Society Proceedings Author Guidelines at one of the following web
pages:

* http://www.ieee.org/portal/pages/pubs/transactions/stylesheets.html
* or http://www.tinmith.net/tabletop2006/IEEE/Format/instruct.htm

Submission papers are classified into 3 categorizes (1) full paper 
(8 pages), (2) short paper (5 pages), and (3) poster (2 pages)
representing original, previously unpublished work. Submitted papers
will be carefully evaluated based on originality, significance,
technical soundness, and clarity of exposition.

Contact author must provide the following information at the CISIS-
2007 web site: paper title, authors' names, affiliations, postal
address, phone, fax, and e-mail address of the author(s), about 200-
250 word abstract, and about five keywords.

Submission of a paper implies that should the paper be accepted, at
least one of the authors will register and present the paper in the
conference.

Accepted papers will be given guidelines in preparing and submitting
the final manuscript(s) together with the notification of acceptance.

Proceedings of the CISIS-2007 conference will be published by IEEE 
Computer Society Press. Based on quality and referee reviews, some
papers not suitable for acceptance as full paper will be accepted for
presentation at CISIS-2007 in Poster category and will be also
included in the IEEE Proceedings. The best papers selected by CISIS-
2007 program committee out of papers accepted for presentation at
CISIS-2007 will be further published in some International Journals.

The submission site for CISIS-2007 paper is available at 
http://www.ares-conf.org/confdriver/?q=confdriver/papers/add

If you have any difficluty in submitting the papers, please do not
hesitate to send them to [email-masked]. 

Conference Chairpersons
============================
Leonard Barolli, Fukuoka Institute of Technology, Japan
A Min Tjoa, Vienna University of Technology, Austria  

International Liaison Co-Chairs
=================================
Makoto Takizawa, Tokyo Denki University, Japan
Arjan Durresi, Louisiana State University, USA

Publicity Chairs
=====================
Nguyen Manh Tho, Vienna University of Technology, Austria 
Fatos Xhafa, Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Spain

Publication Co-Chairs
========================
Yoshitaka Shibata, Iwate Prefectural University, Japan
Roland Wagner, University of Linz, Austria

Local Organizing Chairs
==========================
Maria Schweikert, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
Markus Klemen, Vienna University of Technology, Austria

Program Committee
=====================
•    Chandra Krintz, University of California, USA
•    Andrew Rau-Chaplin, Dalhousie University, Canada
•    Mukesh Mohania, IBM India Research Laboratory, India
•    Tomoya Enokido, Risho University, Japan
•    Joan Manel Marquès, Open University of Catalonia, Spain
•    Akio Koyama, Yamagata University, Japan
•    Nguyen Manh Tho, Vienna University of Technology, Austria 
•    Fatos Xhafa, Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Spain
•    Arjan Durresi, Louisiana State University, USA
•    Naohiro Hayashibara, Tokyo Denki University, Japan
•    Claudi Paniagua Maci, IBM GTS, Virtualization and Grid Computing
     EBO, Spain
•    Irfan Awan, University of Bradford, UK
•    Hui-huang Hsu, Tamkang University, Taiwan
•    Jin Hwan Park, State University of New York New Paltz, USA
•    Kuo-Ming Chao, Coventry University, UK
•    Muhammed Younas, Oxford Brookes University, UK
•    Bhed Bahadur Bista, Iwate Prefectural University, Japan
•    Minoru Uehara, Toyo University, Japan
•    Elhadi Shakshuki, Acadia Univiversity, Canada
•    David Taniar, Monash University, Australia
•    Nobuyoshi Sato, Toyo University, Japan
•    Hiroaki Kikuchi, Tokai University, Japan
•    Sajid Hussain, Acadia University, Canada
•    Fumiaki Sato, Toho University, Japan
•    Kaoru Sugita, Fukuoka Institute of Technology, Japan
•    Timothy K. Shih, Tamkang University, Taiwan
•    Markus Aleksy, University of Mannheim, Germany
•    Takahiro Hara, Osaka University, Japan
•    Takuo Suganuma, Tohoku University, Japan
•    Wenny Rahayu, La Trobe University, Australia
•    Ismail Khalil Ibrahim, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria
•    Giuseppe De Marco, Fukuoka Institute of Technology, Japan 
•    Günther Pernul, University of Regensburg, Germany
•    Andrei Doncesku, University Paul Sabatier, France
•    Lin Guan, Loughborough University, UK  
•    Frank Ball, Bournemouth University, UK  
•    Ahmed Al-Dubai, Napier University, UK  
•    Qiang Ni, Brunel University, UK  
•    Juan Jose Alcaraz Espin, Polytechnic University of Cartagena,
     Spain
•    Winston Seah, Institute for Infocomm Research, Singapore
•    Antonio Pescape, University of Napoli, Italy  
•    Leonid Kalinichenko, Russian Academy of Science, Russia
•    Lawrence Y. Deng, St. John's and St.Mary's Institute of
     Technology, Taiwan
•    Xiangen Hu, University of Memphis, USA
•    Ching-Sheng Wang, Aletheia University, Taiwan    
•    Kuei-Ping Shih    Tamkang University, Taiwan
•    Been-Chian Chien, National University of Tainan, Taiwan
•    Wen-Yang Lin, National University of Kaohsiung, Taiwan
•    Vincent Lee, Monash University, Australia
•    Michael Sheng, CSIRO ICT Centre, Australia 
•    Soraya Kouadri M., Oxford Brookes University, UK
•    S.C. Cheung, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
     (HKUST), Hong Kong
•    Karl R.P.H. Leung, Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education
     (Tsing Yi) HKIVE, Hong Kong
•    Victor C.S. Lee, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
•    Henry Chan, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
•    Hon-Va Leong, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
•    Qing Lu, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
•    Thomas Grill, University of Linz, Austria
•    Fabio Postiglione, University of Salerno, Italy
•    Said Mirza, Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Japan
•    Ajith Abraham, Yonsei University, Korea
•    Takuo Nakashima, Kyushu Tokai University, Japan
•    Helen Karatza, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
•    Paul G. Spirakis, Research and Academic Computer Technology  
     Institute (RACTI) and Patras University , Greece
•    Yijun Yu, The Open University, UK
•    Robin Laney, Open University, UK
•    Matthias Hölzl, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany
•    John Mylopoulos, University of Toronto, Canada
•    Stefan Jaehnichen, Technical University Berlin, Fraunhofer
     FIRST, Germany
•    Bosiljka Tadic, J. Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia 
•    Albert Diaz-Guilera,Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
•    David H. Wolpert, NASA Ames Research Center, USA
•    Mohand-Said Hacid, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon 1, France
•    Andrea Cali, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy 

For any further questions or inquiries please contact Conference Organizers:

Conference Organizers:
=========================
Leonard Barolli
Department of Information and Communication Engineering
Faculty of Information Engineering
Fukuoka Institute of technology (FIT)
3-30-1 Wajiro-Higashi, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka 811-0295 Japan
Email: barolli at fit.ac.jp

A Min Tjoa
Institute for Software Technology and Interactive Systems
Vienna University of Technology, Austria
Favoritenstrasse 9-11/188
A-1040 Vienna, Austria
E-mail: [email-masked]

Nguyen Manh Tho
Institute for Software Technology and Interactive Systems
Vienna University of Technology, Austria
Favoritenstrasse 9-11/188
A-1040 Vienna, Austria
E-mail: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
OPS-NM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-nm