Subject: [OPS-NM] FW: IEEE LAUNCHES WORK ON STANDARD FOR NEXT GENERATION SERVICE OVERLAY NETWORK

From: "Bert Wijnen - IETF" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 11:10:59 +0200

I find it strange that IEEE is looking at this, but anyway, I thought
that this group of people would want to know. Most of you
probably may have heard it via other channels as well.

Bert Wijnen

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: IEEE Standards Association [mailto:[email-masked]]
Verzonden: vrijdag 2 mei 2008 18:03
Aan: [email-masked]
Onderwerp: IEEE-SA NEWS FOR MAY 2008

IEEE-SA NEWS FOR MAY 2008

Included in this issue:

 - ISO AND IEEE STRENGTHEN PARTNERSHIP FOR DEVELOPMENT OF INTERNATIONAL
STANDARDS
 - IEEE SELECTS ATSEC TO CERTIFY PROTECTION PROFILES FOR NEW INFORMATION
SECURITY STANDARD
 - IEEE LAUNCHES WORK ON STANDARD FOR NEXT GENERATION SERVICE OVERLAY
NETWORK
 - IEEE ANNOUNCES SPEAKERS FOR GLOBAL STANDARDS, LOCAL BENEFITS SEMINAR IN
TOKYO - Online Registration Ends 7 May 2008
 - EATON CORPORATION CONTRIBUTES $500,000 TO IEEE/NFPA ARC FLASH RESEARCH
PROJECT
 - IEEE-SA BOARD OF GOVERNORS SEEKING CANDIDATES TO SERVE ON THE 2009
IEEE-SA BOARD OF GOVERNORS
 - IMPROVED PATENT POLICY SLIDE SET NOW AVAILABLE

... snip ...

*******

IEEE LAUNCHES WORK ON STANDARD FOR NEXT GENERATION SERVICE OVERLAY NETWORK
Standard to Improve Telecommunications and Information Services via Overlay
Networks by Achieving High Quality Delivery of Streamlined Multi Media
Services

Recognizing the need for greater efficiency in the creation, delivery and
management of the growing number of interacting services and applications in
broadband and mobile networks, the IEEE has formally approved work to begin
on a new standard that describes a framework for Internet Protocol
(IP)-based service overlay networks. This standard, IEEE P1903, will be
developed under the IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA) Corporate Program.

IEEE P1903, "Standard for a Next Generation Service Overlay Network," will
specify a framework for context-aware, dynamically adaptive and
self-organizing networking capabilities to enable more efficient composition
and delivery of services and applications. When completed, the standard will
help network operators and service and content providers seamlessly deliver
collaborative services over both fixed networks and ones with varying access
conditions, as end-users change their locations and move from using one
device to another.

The IEEE P1903 project is sponsored jointly by the IEEE Communications
Society and the IEEE-SA Corporate Program. Companies involved include: China
Mobile, France Telecom, Huawei, HP, IBM, Korea Telecom, Nortel (observer)
and Oracle.

For more information on the Next Generation Service Overlay Network Study
Group, visit the Next generation Service Overlay Study Group's website:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/ngsn/

*******

_______________________________________________
OPS-NM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-nm