Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] [nmrg] draft-irtf-nmrg-snmp-measure-04.txt oid xml pattern change

From: "Natale, Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 09:48:16 -0400

Hi,

Juergen is correct (per Sec. 8.19 of ITU-T Recommendation X.690,
prepared by ITU-T Study Group 17 and approved on 14 July 2002,
identical text is also published as ISO/IEC 8825-1).

draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-02.txt (to be posted any day
now!) will contain the fix Juergen provides below.

Cheers,
BobN

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Juergen
Schoenwaelder
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 8:27 AM
To: [email-masked]; Bert Wijnen
Subject: [nmrg] draft-irtf-nmrg-snmp-measure-04.txt oid xml pattern
change

Hi,

there was recently a discussion on the XSD pattern for object
identifier values and it was pointed out that the pattern we picked up
from the SMI-XSD document is too restrictive by not allowing OIDs of
the format 2.X.* where X is larger than 39. I therefore propose that
we change the pattern used by oid.type from

      "[0-2](\.[1-3]?[0-9])(\.(0|([1-9]\d*))){0,126}"

to

      "([0-1](\.[1-3]?[0-9]))|(2.(0|([1-9]\d*)))" ~
      "(\.(0|([1-9]\d*))){0,126}"

Any objections against this change which is really a bugfix? Bert, do
we run into procedural trouble if we fix this or an additional N weeks
delay? (In that case, I would be tempted to go along with the buggy
version of the pattern. ;-)

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
-- 
!! This message is brought to you via the `nmrg' mailing list.
!! Please do not reply to this message to unsubscribe. To unsubscribe
or adjust
!! your settings, send a mail message to <[email-masked]>
!! or look at https://mail.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/mailman/listinfo/nmrg.
_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 10:13:40 -0400

Hi,

SMIv2 is based on ASN.1-1988 not ASN.1-2002.
XSDMI should maintain fidelity to SMIv2.
I would think the snmp-measure document should do so also.

We should be liberal in what we accept, and conservative in what we
send, of course. I think XSDMI should enforce the 1988 syntax, since
one expected use case is validation; it probably will make no
difference to the snmp-research document, whose use case is reporting.

In practice, I have never seen a 2.X in any SMIv2 MIB module.

dbh 

> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Natale, Bob
> Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 9:48 AM
> To: [email-masked]; Bert Wijnen
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] [nmrg] 
> draft-irtf-nmrg-snmp-measure-04.txt oid xmlpattern change
> 
> Hi,
>

---

From: "Natale, Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 10:27:05 -0400

Hi David,

You are right about the fidelity basis for SNMP to ASN.1/BER, but I
don't think the version diffs come into play on this point.  The rule
for BER encoding of the first two sub-ids (X and Y) probably always has
boiled down to "(X*40)+Y" -- which was expressed as far back as
Steedman's book as "40m + n", where (p. 93) he says:

"This saves an octet from every value, exploiting the fact that 0 <= m
<= 2, and that, except possibly for m = 2 (joint-iso-ccitt), n is a
very small number."

Ahhh, the good old days! :)

There is a registered value for 2.41 (ITU-T Rec. X.1083 | ISO/IEC
24708: BioAPI Interworking Protocol (BIP)), approved in Sep-2007, which
requires Juergen's correction...and one could imagine that it could
need to be carried in an SNMP varbind.

Cheers,
BobN

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of David Harrington
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 10:14 AM
To: Natale, Bob; [email-masked]; 'Bert Wijnen'
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] [nmrg] draft-irtf-nmrg-snmp-measure-04.txt
oidxmlpattern change

Hi,

dbh