Subject: [OPSAWG] snmp data model (mib) overview

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 16:52:31 +0200

Hi,

I made the statement that explaining the IETF data models along FCAPS
does not really work well and that we may mislead people to believe
data modeling work within the IETF is organized around FCAPS, which
has not been the case for the last 15 years as far as I can tell.

There was also a comment made by someone after the WG meeting that
different protocols support vastly different data models and that is
also a result of what the protocols were designed to do well.

Taking this together, I suggest to describe the data models for the
various protocols, focussing on the more widely implemented models
(and yes it is somewhat subjective how we establish what should be
included/excluded). In order to add some substance, here is a first
quick rough writeup how I conceptually structure the many SNMP MIB
modules we produced over the years:

* SNMP Data Models

** basic infrastructure

   - interfaces (IF-MIB)
   - physical entities (ENTITY-MIB)

** transmission

   - MIB modules for transmission technologies (ADSL, VDSL, MPLS, ...)

** network layer

   - MIB modules for the IP network layer (IP-MIB, IP-FORWARD-MIB, DIFFSERV-MIB$
   - MIB modules for routing protocols (BGP4, OSPFv3, ...)

** transport layers

   - MIB modules covering the IP transport layer (TCP-MIB, TCP-ESTATS-MIB,
     UDP-MIB, SCTP-MIB, ...)

** management and monitoring

   - SNMP modules (point to RFC 3410)
   - RMON family of MIB modules (point to RFC 3577)
   - DISMAN family of MIB modules (not sure they need to be mentioned)

** application protocols and special devices

   - application protocols (SIP, ...)
   - special devices (Printer-MIB, ...)

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>