Subject: [OPSAWG] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-opsawg-management-stds-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:00:01 -0800

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

    Title         : An Overview of the IETF Network Management Standards
    Author(s)     : M. Ersue
    Filename      : draft-ietf-opsawg-management-stds-00.txt
    Pages         : 66
    Date          : 2011-03-07
    
This document gives an overview of the IETF network management
   standards and summarizes existing and ongoing development of IETF
   standards-track network management protocols and data models.  The
   purpose of this document is on the one hand to help system developers
   and users to select appropriate standard management protocols and
   data models to address relevant management needs.  On the other hand
   the document can be used as an overview and guideline by other
   Standard Development Organizations or bodies planning to use IETF
   management technologies and data models.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-opsawg-management-stds-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:30:45 +0100

I think that
 [RFC3584]     Frye, R., Levi, D., Routhier, S., and B. Wijnen,
                 "Coexistence between Version 1, Version 2, and Version
                 3 of the Internet-standard Network Management
                 Framework", BCP 74, RFC 3584, August 2003.
duplicates
   [BCP74]       Frye, R., "Coexistence between Version 1, Version 2,
                 and Version 3 of the Internet-standard Network
                 Management Framework", August 2003.
:-(
A minor point but I think it illustrates the problem of trying to
make such a wide-ranging, but not all encompassing (MPLS
OAM anyone?),I-D coherent.

I think Juergen doubted there were the resources to
produce something like this, and I have my reservations
too.

For myself, I think that it needs an introduction to the different
parts before going into the gritty detail, to point people at the
parts they want to study in more detail - which would make it
even larger:-(

What next?

Tom Petch