Subject: [OPSAWG] Performance Monitoring drafts for review

From: "Aamer Akhter (aakhter)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:26:18 -0500

Hello OPSAWG,

Please find two draft submissions to the OPSAWG group in the area of
user traffic based performance monitoring. 

Methodology Network Flow Performance Measurement
draft-akhter-opsawg-perfmon-method-00.txt

IPFIX Information Elements for Flow Performance Measurement
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-akhter-opsawg-perfmon-ipfix/

The purpose of the methodology draft is to present a methodology for
network equipment to be able to analyze user traffic for the purposes of
evaluating network as well as application performance (use cases are
included in the document). The IPFIX document maps the measurements into
IPFIX information elements.

Abstract

   There is a need to be able to quantify and report the performance of
   network applications and the network service in handling user data.
   This performance data provides information essential in validating
   service level agreements, fault isolation as well as early warnings
   of network greater problems.  This document describes a generic
   methodology for calculating metrics related to network based
   applications.  In addition, to the performance metrics, several
   additional information elements are included to help provide greater
   context to the reports.  The measurements use audio/video
   applications as base examples but are not restricted to these class
   of applications.

Looking forward to any feedback on these drafts.