Subject: [OPSAWG] management standards nits

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 15:34:01 +0100

Hi,

while skimming <draft-ietf-opsawg-management-stds-02>, I observed that
NETCONF is listed as Full Standard in Table 1. I also doubt that TWAMP
is a Full Standard.

Table 5 uses the phrases "Enterprise specific" and "Vendor specific""
and I am not sure the difference is by accident or by intention. That
said, what might be more important is likely to avoid giving the
expression that only enterprises/vendors can extend data models. We
might want to be explicit that other SDOs of course can also extend
data models. (Perhaps the last column in the take really is just a
boolean if we change the column title.)

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 02:18:41 +0800

Hi Juergen,

> Hi,
>
> while skimming<draft-ietf-opsawg-management-stds-02>, I observed that
Good catch. And we should certainly reference RFC6241 instead of RFC4741
> and I am not sure the difference is by accident or by intention.
This was done intentionally so that people could refer to the right 
functionality.
For example, in IPFIX, it's called "Enterprise Specific Information 
Elements" see RFC5101.
For example, in RADIUS, we speak about Vendor Specific Attributes
> That
OLD:

   +----------------+--------------------+---------------+-------------+
    | Protocol       | Data Modeling      | Approach to   | Proprietary |
    |                |                    | extend the    | Data        |
    |                |                    | Data Model    | Modeling    |
    |                |                    |               | Extensions  |
    +----------------+--------------------+---------------+-------------+

NEW:

   +----------------+--------------------+---------------+-------------+
    | Protocol       | Data Modeling      | Data         | Proprietary |
    |                |                    | Modeling     | Data        |
    |                |                    | Extensions   | Modeling    |
    |                |                    |              | Extensions  |
    +----------------+--------------------+--------------+-------------+

Regards, Benoit.

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 02:40:09 +0100

> For example, in RADIUS, we speak about Vendor Specific Attributes

That's subtle, perhaps a bit too subtle for the target audience to
catch.

/js

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 10:25:30 +0800

Hi Juergen,
> That's subtle, perhaps a bit too subtle for the target audience to
Ok. I'll try to be less subtle then ;-)

Regards, Benoit.