Subject: [OPSAWG] Power Locator

From: Bruce Nordman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 23:36:32 -0800

At the last IETF I presented a draft on the concept of a "Power Locator"
feature.
I am interested to know if anyone knows of any relevant IP claims for what
the RFC addresses.

The draft is at:
  http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nordman-power-locator/

The slides are at:
  http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/82/slides/opsarea-1.pdf

Minutes of the presentation are at:
  http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/82/minutes/opsarea.txt

The abstract in the RFC is:

                             Power Locator
                     draft-nordman-power-locator-00
Abstract

   This specification addresses how to request that a device should
   enter a "power locator" mode for a limited period of time.  The mode
   involves a device cycling between a low and high power level in a
   predictable manner so that a power metering device upstream in the
   power distribution system can sense the signal and so determine where
   the device draws its power from.  This will be useful in many types
   of buildings, particularly data centers and large commercial
   buildings.  This draft addresses operation of the device carrying out
   the request, but not detailed operation of the device that makes the
   request and interprets the results.

   This draft is an initial discussion document to generate feedback and
   improvement.

Thank you,

--Bruce

-- 
*Bruce Nordman*
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
eetd.lbl.gov/ea/nordman
[email-masked]
510-486-7089
m: 510-501-7943