Subject: [OPSAWG] Feedback request: draft on IP/MPLS transmission interruption

From: "Fan Peng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:51:32 +0800

Dear all,

We have just updated the draft on IP/MPLS transmission interruption to 01
version, and we would like to hear comments from you.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fan-opsawg-transmission-interruption-01

We presented the last version in Paris hoping the industry could discuss the
problem of whether the sub-50ms outage time requirement is suitable for
IP/MPLS. We proposed at the meeting two principles for network and service
design, configuration and operation: the IP/MPLS bearer should satisfy
quality requirements of upper level services and applications, while
services and applications should also take into account the intrinsic IP
capabilities. We did analysis on softswitch and reached the IP interruption
requirement of 3 sec.

In this 01 version we added case of parameter configuration in SS7 network
to illustrate principle 2 (adaptation to IP). We gave examples on SCTP and
M2PA and delivered the concept that upper levels should be more tolerable to
IP best effort to avoid frequent disconnection. Parameter configuration
needs to consider both requirement of application and nature of IP.
Influence on service like SMS is also involved.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Fan, Peng

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 08:18:36 -0400

Fan,

With my PWE3 WG chair hat on: this draft doesn't currently take into
account the restoration requirements for various pseudowire services
over MPLS, such as TDM/private line, Ethernet, Frame Relay, ATM, and
others. I trust that these requirements can be included in future
revisions of this draft via collaboration with the PWE3 WG, and would
also appreciate it if the draft could be presented to the PWE3 WG,
assuming you will be discussing this draft in Vancouver.

Thanks,
Andy

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Fan Peng
> Sent: 10 July 2012 05:52
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [OPSAWG] Feedback request: draft on IP/MPLS transmission
> interruption
>
>
>
> Dear all,
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> mpls mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls
>

---

From: "Fan Peng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 18:23:18 +0800

Hi Andrew,

We mainly focused on CS part of mobile core network up to now, but failed to
spare much time on other services like pseudowire. I think this document
would be more meaningful if it covers a wide range of typical services with
thorough analysis and accurate use cases, but analysis on a single service
would be time-consuming and even hard to reach a conclusion. So I am very
excited hearing there would be help from PWE3 WG. I will be at the meeting
and would also appreciate the chance to discuss the issue in PWE3.

Thanks and regards,

Fan, Peng

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 代表 Andrew
G. Malis
发送时间: 2012年7月11日 20:19
收件人: [email-masked]
主题: Re: [OPSAWG] Feedback request: draft on IP/MPLS transmission
interruption

Fan,

With my PWE3 WG chair hat on: this draft doesn't currently take into account
the restoration requirements for various pseudowire services over MPLS, such
as TDM/private line, Ethernet, Frame Relay, ATM, and others. I trust that
these requirements can be included in future revisions of this draft via
collaboration with the PWE3 WG, and would also appreciate it if the draft
could be presented to the PWE3 WG, assuming you will be discussing this
draft in Vancouver.

Thanks,
Andy

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Fan Peng
> Sent: 10 July 2012 05:52
> To: [email-masked]
> We have just updated the draft on IP/MPLS transmission interruption to 
> 01 version, and we would like to hear comments from you.
>
>
>
> We presented the last version in Paris hoping the industry could 
> discuss the problem of whether the sub-50ms outage time requirement is 
> suitable for IP/MPLS. We proposed at the meeting two principles for 
> network and service design, configuration and operation: the IP/MPLS 
> bearer should satisfy quality requirements of upper level services and 
> applications, while services and applications should also take into 
> account the intrinsic IP capabilities. We did analysis on softswitch 
> and reached the IP interruption requirement of 3 sec.
>
>
>
> In this 01 version we added case of parameter configuration in SS7 
> network to illustrate principle 2 (adaptation to IP). We gave examples 
> on SCTP and M2PA and delivered the concept that upper levels should be 
> more tolerable to IP best effort to avoid frequent disconnection. 
> Parameter configuration needs to consider both requirement of application
and nature of IP.
_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg