Subject: [OPSAWG] draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac-02

From: "Rajesh Pazhyannur (rpazhyan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 18:57:34 +0000

Hello

I have submitted a new version of the draft IEEE 802.11 MAC Profile for CAPWAP, http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac/ .
Abstract: CAPWAP defines two entities Wireless Transmission Point (WTP) and
   Access Controller (AC).  CAPWAP also defines two MAC (Medium Access
   Control) modes for IEEE 802.11 WTPs: Split and Local MAC . For each
   MAC mode, CAPWAP describes how the MAC functionality is split between
   the WTP and AC.  However, certain functions have not been clearly
   defined.  For example for the Split MAC mode, the IEEE 802.11
   encryption is specified as located in either the AC or the WTP with
   no clear way for the AC to inform the WTP where it should be.  This
   lack of specification leads to interoperability especially when AC
   and WTP come from different vendors.  To solve the problem, this
   specification defines a IEEE 802.11 MAC profile where each profile
   specifies an unambiguous division of functionality between the WTP and
   AC.  The IEEE 802.11 MAC profile is used as follows: The WTP informs
   the AC of the supported profiles during the discovery or join process
   and the AC configures the WTP with one of the supported profiles
   while configuring a WLAN.

Besides making editorial changes, it addresses suggestions made by Dorothy Stanley:
1)      Eliminate the profiles for Local MAC mode
2)      Rename it along the lines of "Split MAC mode with WTP encryption.... "
3)      Editorial changes to abstract and other places in the document

We are planning to ask for a WGLC in the London meeting, so we would appreciate hearing comments, suggestions prior to the meeting on the mailing list.

Thanks

Regards

Rajesh