Subject: [OPSAWG] STD 78, RFC 5343 on Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Context EngineID Discovery

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 13:40:38 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

       STD 78
       RFC 5343

       Title:      Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Context
                   EngineID Discovery
       Author:     J. Schoenwaelder
       Status:     Standards Track
       Stream:     IETF
       Date:       September 2008
       Mailbox:    [email-masked]
       Pages:      9
       Characters: 19938
       See Also:   STD 78

       I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsawg-snmp-engineid-discovery-03.txt

       URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5343.txt

The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) version three (SNMPv3)
requires that an application know the identifier (snmpEngineID) of the
remote SNMP protocol engine in order to retrieve or manipulate objects
maintained on the remote SNMP entity. This document introduces a
well-known localEngineID and a discovery mechanism that can be used to
learn the snmpEngineID of a remote SNMP protocol engine. The proposed
mechanism is independent of the features provided by SNMP security
models and may also be used by other protocol interfaces providing
access to managed objects. This document updates RFC 3411. 

This document is a product of the Operations and Management Area
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now an Internet Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and
suggestions for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of
the Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of
this memo is unlimited. 

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
 http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
 http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see
http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].
Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC