Subject: [OPSAWG] RFC 7289 on Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN) Deployment with BGP/MPLS IP VPNs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 17:26:48 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7289

        Title:      Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN) Deployment with 
                    BGP/MPLS IP VPNs 
        Author:     V. Kuarsingh, Ed.,
                    J. Cianfarani
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 45731
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsawg-lsn-deployment-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7289.txt

This document specifies a framework to integrate a Network Address
Translation (NAT) layer into an operator's network to function as a
Carrier-Grade NAT (also known as CGN or Large-Scale NAT).  The CGN
infrastructure will often form a NAT444 environment as the subscriber
home network will likely also maintain a subscriber-side NAT
function.  Exhaustion of the IPv4 address pool is a major driver
compelling some operators to implement CGN.  Although operators may
wish to deploy IPv6 to strategically overcome IPv4 exhaustion, near-
term needs may not be satisfied with an IPv6 deployment alone.  This
document provides a practical integration model that allows the CGN
platform to be integrated into the network, meeting the connectivity
needs of the subscriber while being mindful of not disrupting
existing services and meeting the technical challenges that CGN
brings.  The model included in this document utilizes BGP/MPLS IP
VPNs, which allow for virtual routing separation, helping ease the
CGN's impact on the network.  This document does not intend to defend
the merits of CGN.

This document is a product of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC