Subject: [OPSAWG] MUD draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-07 question on router configuration.

From: "M. Ranganathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:33:58 -0400

Hello,

I am trying to implement the MUD profiles draft on a openwrt based router
using the DHCP based mechanisms that are outlined in the draft. In my
implementation, the "Internet" side of the router gets its public address
assigned using a DHCP server which runs in the "service provider" network.
The router also hosts a DHCP server of its own that serves IOT (and non
IOT) clients on the LAN. I am assuming that the MUD controller will be in
the service provider network.

 The MUD draft suggests a new options 161 which allows the IOT DHCP CLIENT
to tell the DHCP server on the router what its MUD URL is. When it sees an
OPTIONS 161, the DHCP server that runs on my router needs to communicate
with a MUD controller.

However, there seems to be no mechanism outlined in the draft to tell the
DHCP client on the router what the MUD controller URL should be unless the
intent is to overload Options 161 for this purpose.

Is this the intent?

Thank you for your clarifications.

Regards,

Ranga.

-- 
M. Ranganathan

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 18:37:10 +0200

Good afternoon and thanks for your comments.  Please now see below.

On 7/28/17 4:33 PM, M. Ranganathan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to implement the MUD profiles draft on a openwrt based
> router using the DHCP based mechanisms that are outlined in the draft.
> In my implementation, the "Internet" side of the router gets its
> public address assigned using a DHCP server which runs in the "service
> provider" network. The router also hosts a DHCP server of its own that
> serves IOT (and non IOT) clients on the LAN. I am assuming that the
> MUD controller will be in the service provider network.

Good so far.
>
>
>  The MUD draft suggests a new options 161 which allows the IOT DHCP
> CLIENT to tell the DHCP server on the router what its MUD URL is. When
> it sees an OPTIONS 161, the DHCP server that runs on my router needs
> to communicate with a MUD controller.

Good so far.
>
> However, there seems to be no mechanism outlined in the draft to tell
> the DHCP client on the router what the MUD controller URL should be
> unless the intent is to overload Options 161 for this purpose.
>
> Is this the intent?

More or less.  We have not created a MUD controller discovery mechanism,
with the expectation that this would overload with existing network
management functionality.  It would be possible to do so, but for the
type of device you are talking about, you would probably want to do so
through either TR69 or DOCSYS, no?

If you're interested, I can work with you to create such a discovery
mechanism, but I'd prefer to do it in a separate draft.

Regards,

Eliot

> _______________________________________________
> OPSAWG mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg