Subject: [OPSAWG] Secdir last call review of draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-13

From: Rifaat Shekh-Yusef <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 13:44:46 -0800

Reviewer: Rifaat Shekh-Yusef
Review result: Ready

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

This Informational document presents the current security and network 
management practices used in the industry today. The document indicates
that these practices will be impacted by the increased use of encryption,
and that new protocols development should take this into consideration
and balance that with the need for a manageable network.

This seems like a useful document that describes what is being done today,
to allow the IETF to make an informed decision on new protocols and balance
that with the need for network manageability. I do not read it as an 
endorsement of any of the practices described in the document.

The document does not define any new protocol or mechanism, thus the 
security consideration section seems appropriate to me.

Regards,
 Rifaat