Subject: [OPSAWG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-ntf-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 11:55:21 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Operations and Management Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Network Telemetry Framework
        Authors         : Haoyu Song
                          Fengwei Qin
                          Pedro Martinez-Julia
                          Laurent Ciavaglia
                          Aijun Wang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-opsawg-ntf-01.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2019-06-11

Abstract:
   This document provides an architectural framework for network
   telemetry to address the current and future network operation
   challenges and requirements.  As evidenced by some key
   characteristics and industry practices, network telemetry covers
   technologies and protocols beyond the conventional network
   Operations, Administration, and Management (OAM), so it promises
   better flexibility, scalability, accuracy, coverage, and performance
   and allows automated control loops to suit both today's and
   tomorrow's network operation requirements.  This document clarifies
   the terminologies and classifies the modules and components of a
   network telemetry system.  The framework and taxonomy help to set a
   common ground for the collection of related work and provide guidance
   for future technique and standard developments.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-ntf/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-opsawg-ntf-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-opsawg-ntf-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-opsawg-ntf-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Tianran Zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 02:55:14 +0000

Hi Haoyu and the authors,

Thank you for the update on the NTF work. I see a lot of deep thinking wrt Telemetry.

I have some comments after a quick reading.
1. While I understand why you put the details on "Existing Works Mapped in the Framework" to Appendix A. I think the "Requirements and Challenges" for management plane, control plane, data plane, etc could be general and consistent. Maybe you can put those content in 4.2 or 4.4 or a separate section.

2. In Figure 6, I hope you can be more clear on the management column. YANG Push is a sub-pub extension to NETCONF. It's better to remove the "NETCONF" only.

3. In A.3.2.  Technique Taxonomy
I do not agree with your discussion on in-band and out-of-band. You may refer to rfc4778, 
2.2.  Device Management - In-Band and Out-of-Band (OOB)

4. Some nits:
iOAM->IOAM
Need expansion for IPFPM.
Internet of Things~(IoT) -> Internet of Things (IoT)

Tianran
> -----Original Message-----
> From: OPSAWG [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:55 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [OPSAWG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-ntf-01.txt
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> OPSAWG mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg