Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Deborah Brungard's No Objection on draft-ietf-opsawg-tacacs-13: (with COMMENT)

From: "Douglas Gash (dcmgash)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 05:49:13 +0000

Many thanks for the comments.

Please see responses from authors inline, marked “TA”. Action items from this mail to update the document are marked: [AI-TA] to mean: “action item for the authors”.

On 14/05/2019, 17:33, "Deborah Brungard via Datatracker" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    Deborah Brungard has entered the following ballot position for
    draft-ietf-opsawg-tacacs-13: No Objection
    
    When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
    email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
    introductory paragraph, however.)

    Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
    for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

    The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-tacacs/

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    COMMENT:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    
    While the status is an Informational document, not PS, I still would
    prefer if earlier in the document it provided the reader with deployment
    concerns e.g. the introduction.

TA> Agreed, we will add a summary of section 10 to the introduction [AI-TA]
    
    The current introduction states a "wide range" of clients and servers
    are already deployed. Not until section 10 is the reader informed
    "Multiple implementations of the protocol described in the original
    TACACS+ Draft `The Draft' [TheDraft] have been deployed.  As the
    protocol was never standardized, current implementations may be
    incompatible in non-obvious ways". And section 10.5 on Best
    Practices which has the new restriction that it not be deployed
    with other traffic. This information is needed much
    earlier in the document to give context for the reader.

TA> Agreed, we will augment the introduction as advised [AI-TA]