Subject: [OPSEC] housekeeping details part one - Security Assessment of the Internet Protocol version 4

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:11:29 -0800

I wanted to address this while the ideas are still fresh. I don't think
we can really call the questions till I can get at least a skeleton of
the minutes out and I'm only about halfway done but The major questions
regarding:

draft-gont-opsec-ip-security-01.txt

are:

Test consensus on list for accepting ip security document

Areas for improvement in the document

Need for cross area review

BCP vs proposed standard

Others?

thanks
joel
_______________________________________________
OPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsec

---

From: "Glen Kent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 11:36:20 +0530

Hi,

I read the draft and it is without doubt a good piece of work.

However, it makes several implementation specific recommendations,
i.e., checks that an implementation must perform before accepting a
fragmented packet, rate limiting IP options packets, and it goes on.
So, the question is: Is OPSEC the right home for this draft? Are the
members here qualified enough to make such recommendations? Isnt what
is described here, already done by several vendors (how do you
otherwise differentiate between different protocol implementation
qualities), etc.? Would an implementation not following one of the
recommendations given in this draft be non-compliant (i.e. if its to
become a proposed standard)?

Glen

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Joel Jaeggli
> Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 10.41 AM
> To: opsec wg mailing list
> Subject: [OPSEC] housekeeping details part one - Security
> Assessment of the Internet Protocol version 4
>