Subject: [OPSEC] RFC 6039 on Issues with Existing Cryptographic Protection Methods for Routing Protocols

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 18:36:48 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6039

        Title:      Issues with Existing Cryptographic Protection 
                    Methods for Routing Protocols 
        Author:     V. Manral, M. Bhatia,
                    J. Jaeggli, R. White
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 50788
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsec-routing-protocols-crypto-issues-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6039.txt

Routing protocols have been extended over time to use cryptographic
mechanisms to ensure that data received from a neighboring router
has not been modified in transit and actually originated from an
authorized neighboring router.

The cryptographic mechanisms defined to date and described in this
document rely on a digest produced with a hash algorithm applied to
the payload encapsulated in the routing protocol packet.

This document outlines some of the limitations of the current
mechanism, problems with manual keying of these cryptographic
algorithms, and possible vectors for the exploitation of these
limitations.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Operational Security Capabilities for IP Network Infrastructure Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC