Subject: [OPSEC] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-opsec-v6-26: (with COMMENT)

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 02:58:36 -0700

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsec-v6-26: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-v6/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I would like to thank the authors for persevering with this document that has
been in development for a long time.

I was also like to thank Tim for his detailed OPSDIR reviews.

I found the document informative to read, but in terms of the technical
content, I don't have anything further to add beyond the other reviews comments.

My overriding impression from reading this document (both due to the text and
large number of references) is that deploying IPv6 seems to be very complex.  I
don't know how that complexity compares to v4 deployments.   In several cases,
this document alludes to different alternatives to how particular IPv6 features
may be deployed, and the operational security considerations as they pertain to
those choices.  Not for this document, but it makes me wonder whether some
useful future work in this area might be some BCP recommendations for how IPv6
should be deployed in particular types of networks .. although it is entirely
possible that ship has already sailed, or there is too much variation on how v6
is being deployed to make such a recommendation.

Regards,
Rob