Subject: VIRTUAL LINK

From: manish gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 06:40:33 -0000

HI All,
      acoording to RFC 2328 to calculate the next hop..

If the destination is a router connected to the calculating router
via a virtual link, the setting of the next hop should be       deferred
until the calculation in Section 16.3.
but section 16.3 doesn't say anything regarding this.

my topology is

    0.0.0.0             1.1.1.1              2.2.2.2
   -----------R1-----------R2------------R3------

at every interface ospf is enabled
i configured a virtual link between R1 and R3
area 1.1.1.1 is transit area

should at R1's Routing table it have a routing entry to ABR R3 in
Backbone Area ???
as far as routing table at R1 for transit area it have a routing
entry for ABR R3 with next hop R2 Interface connected to R1 and i
feel it's correct ???

my question is while calculating Routing table at R1 for backbone
area should we have a routing entry for ABR R3
and if yes then how to calculate next hop and where to
calculate.

Regards
Manish Gupta

_________________________________________________________
Click below to visit monsterindia.com and review jobs in India or
Abroad
http://monsterindia.rediff.com/jobs

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 08:07:56 -0400

Section 16.3 pertains to summary LSAs that may have a shorter
path via the transit area. For a virtual link to be in P2P state
it must have an intra-area route through the transit area. The
next-hop for this route will be your R3 next-hop (unless you have
a lower cost area 0 intra-area path to R3).

--
Acee