Subject: Re: VIRTUAL LINK

From: Wu Jina <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 21:10:21 -0400

Hi,

About this question, I think the process like the following:

After all router is configured, R1, R2 and R3 will generate the router LSA
for all link at each router, except virtual link at R1 and R3, After the
database synchronize, R1, R2, R3 will generate the new router LSA for theirs
neighbor. At R1, when new router LSA is added to LSDB, the SPF will be
secheduled, then R1 will found R3 in the SPF process for the area 1.1.1.1,
then virtual link up, new router LSA will be generate include virtual link,
the next time, when the SPF is process, R1 will found R3 at area 0.0.0.0.
R3 is same.

Jina.

==========================================================================
HI All,
      acoording to RFC 2328 to calculate the next hop..

If the destination is a router connected to the calculating router
via a virtual link, the setting of the next hop should be       deferred
until the calculation in Section 16.3.
but section 16.3 doesn't say anything regarding this.

my topology is

    0.0.0.0             1.1.1.1              2.2.2.2
   -----------R1-----------R2------------R3------

at every interface ospf is enabled
i configured a virtual link between R1 and R3
area 1.1.1.1 is transit area

should at R1's Routing table it have a routing entry to ABR R3 in
Backbone Area ???
as far as routing table at R1 for transit area it have a routing
entry for ABR R3 with next hop R2 Interface connected to R1 and i
feel it's correct ???

my question is while calculating Routing table at R1 for backbone
area should we have a routing entry for ABR R3
and if yes then how to calculate next hop and where to
calculate.

Regards
Manish Gupta