Subject: Re: Any standard for MAC address for OSPF mutilcast address .

From: Eldose Paul <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:46:51 -0400

The Multicast MAC address is derived from the IP address itself.  Refer to
the TCP/IP Book by Stevens Vol 2 Page 341, it explains how the MAC address
is derived from the IP address.

Eldose

-----Original Message-----
From: kamatchi soundaram [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 3:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Any standard for MAC address for OSPF mutilcast address .

Hi,

  I need the following two clarifications. It would be highly appreciable,
if i get some input.

1) Whenever OSPF comes up, i will register for IP multicast address.
Similarly, do i need to register with the Mac (ethernet device) with any?
MAC multicast address.

2) If so, what is the standard Multicast MAC address for OSPF?

thanks,
GKS.

---

From: kamatchi soundaram <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:21:21 -0700

Thank u very much.

GKS.