Subject: OSFP Project

From: Giuliano Cardozo Medalha <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:32:54 -0300

Hi,

I am in an OSPF project using cisco 3620 series with Fast Ethernet and
ATM E3 interfaces (besides other devices) and I have some questions
about design.

The following picture describes the topology:

          Public AS  Public AS   Public AS
             |         |          |
           7000       7000       7000     14 x 2511
            A1         A2        A3          A4
         Campus 1   Campus 2   Campus 3   Campus 4
              ()       ()        ()          ()
               |       |         |            |
               |       |         |            |
               |_______|_________|____________|  ATM / FR cloud - FRF8
                             0
                             0  ATM
                             0
                          Cisco 3620
                             0
                             0   Fast Ethernet
                             0
                             0
                             0 BI 1 - A6
  Public AS <---###---------### -----### - Big Iron 2 A7
             Net Iron        |  \
                             |    \
                             |      \
                            ### -----### - Big Iron 3 A8
                           BI 4 A9

The picture tries to explain the following environment:

We have 5 major campi for a university. Campus 1 is bigger than others
and has 6 devices: 4 foundry big iron, 1 foundry net iron and 1 cisco
3620. The autonomous system of the entire university is private and the
path to the public internet is made by the Public AS described above
(Net Iron - running BGP4).
All this 6 devices runs OSPF, creating the backbone area - Area 0
Besides, each big iron has another area configured (A6, A7, A8 and A9).
Each area has only one agregated group of IPv4 adresses that we can
summarize.

Cisco 3620 is used to connect all other 4 campi to the major campus.
Each campus has its own network infraestructure and its own ospf area
(A1, A2, A3 and A4) with another agregated group of IPv4 adresses.

These campi are connected to the 3620 router by Frame Relay cloud with
the FRF8 schema - (FR / ATM).

Cisco 3620 has one ATM interface for an E3 link to provide access to
these campi. Campus 1,2 and 3 has another path to the public internet by
Nortel Shasta devices. The FR link is used only for backup.

I would like to implement this architecture and need some help. Could I
extend the Area 0 to the border router on each campi, or the limit will
be the 3620 router ?

There is some architecture where we could put more than one area for
border router ?

Thanks a lot

Giuliano