Subject: Status of "alternative ABR implementations" draft?

From: Nohl Attila Rajmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:04:50 +0200

Hello!

I would like to know the current status of the
draft-ietf-ospf-abr-alt-04.txt document. It is listed on the workgroup's
homepage at http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ospf-charter.html but
according to its header, it expired last September.

From the draft it looks like that some vendors already implemented this
draft. I know, that in the GNU zebra routing software, one can configure
the router to use one of the techniques specified in the document. Do
you have any information about how widespread is the implementation of
this draft among the router vendors?

                                Bye,NAR

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:07:20 -0400

> Hello!

Hello NAR,

> according to its header, it expired last September.

I believe the draft is going to be published as an informational RFC. I'll
ping Alex to see where we stand with the last set of comments.

> this draft among the router vendors?

Note that this is an informational RFC (vis-a-vis, a standards track RFC).
A properly designed OSPF network would not require the behavior described
in the draft. As a co-author, my primary motivation for implementing the
alternate ABR behavior was a satisfy a strong customer requirement.

In answer to your question, I'm not sure how many router vendors (other
than the ones listed in the draft) have implemented it.

--
Acee

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:43:21 -0700

Acee,

> ping Alex to see where we stand with the last set of comments.

I think I have all comments from the AD-review round incorporated
in my latest version. Let me double check it and I will resubmit
the final revision of the draft.

Alex