Subject: Re: usage of OSPF

From: Tom Petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:52:55 +0100

My experience across some hundred of more medium and large
enterprises, mostly in Europe, is, in order of usage,

1 RIPv1
2 OSPF
3 RIPv2
4 Cisco proprietary

ISIS nowhere.
Given some enterprises have more than one IGP, OSPF is about 30%.

For me, this ongoing use of mature and familiar technology parallels
the use of Ethernetv2 to underpin ever larger and faster networks :-)

For SNMP, I suggest you try an SNMP mailing list and I'll give you my
ha'pen'orth there.

Tom Petch, Network Consultant
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Beatriz Silva <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 August 2002 16:48
Subject: usage of OSPF

>Hello everybody !
>
>Does anybody know what is the usage of OSPF protocol as compared to
the other routing protocols ? Is it really the most used ? What is the
percentage of networks that use OSPF ?
>
>I have the same question for SNMP management protocol too. (if
somebody happens to know)
>
>Thanks,
>Beatriz
>
>
>--
>__________________________________________________________
>Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
>http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
>
>Get 4 DVDs for $.49 cents! plus shipping & processing. Click to join.
>http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-3566-59

---

From: Russ White <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 07:56:31 -0400

My experience differs somewhat.... In the US, I see mostly EIGRP
in the enterprise market (maybe 80%), with some OSPF, and no
IS-IS. On the SP side, I see about equal parts of IS-IS and
OSPF. In Europe, I mostly see about equal divides between the
three in the enterprise market, with SP's mostly on the IS-IS
side, with some OSPF.

But I'm certain you'll hear different things from different
people, depending on which customers they've worked with.

:-)

Russ

> somebody happens to know)

__________________________________
[email-masked] CCIE <>< Grace Alone