Subject: Re: OSPFv3 and IPv6 on-link router advertisements

From: "Manral, Vishwas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:03:19 -0500

Hi Mike,

I am not sure how OSPFv3 and RA messages are directly related and Acee has
probably answered your question already.

However still OSPFv3 advertizes link-local addreses as well as IPv6 prefixes
assigned to a link in its link LSA's. I think the RA message does not
advertize Link-local address however.

Please let me know if this answers your question?

Thanks,
Vishwas

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Fox [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 8:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: OSPFv3 and IPv6 on-link router advertisements

How are IPv6 on-link router advertisements treated in OSPFv3?  Does a router
that advertises on-link prefixes in router advertisements also
advertise them in link-lsas? And if these prefixes are not also advertised
in link-lsas, how should  they be treated by OSPFv3?  Are they
treated as AS-external desinations, or as if they had been received on a
link-lsa (i.e., AS internal)?

Mike

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:13:09 -0500

Hi Vishwas,

I guess I have too much of a OSPF centric view ;^). In Mikes original
message, I confused neighbor discovery RAs with OSPFv3 router LSAs.

Anyway, my opinion is that routers should rely on the routing
protocols (e.g., OSPFv3) to learn about on-link prefixes and
that neighbor discovery RAs are primarily for hosts.

--
Acee