Subject: OSPF graceful restart question

From: Sanjay BM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:18:01 -0700

Hi,

RFC3623 Section 2.2, bullet item #2 says:

      2) Router X receives an LSA that is inconsistent with its pre-
         restart router-LSA.  For example, X receives a router-LSA
         originated by router Y that does not contain a link to X, even
         though X's pre-start router-LSA did contain a link to Y.  This
         indicates that either a) Y does not support graceful restart,
         b) Y never received the grace-LSA or c) Y has terminated its
         helper mode for some reason (Section 3.2).  A special case of
         LSA inconsistency is when Router X establishes an adjacency
         with router Y and doesn't receive an instance of its own pre-
         restart router LSA.

Is the opposite of this example also true? i.e, X receives a
router-LSA originated by router Y that contains a link to X, but X's
pre-start router-LSA does not contain a link to Y. This indicates that
router Y was cut-off from the network before router X entered graceful
restart and router Y's router-LSA has not yet max aged.

Should router X exit restart mode unsuccessfully for this above case?

Thanx,
Sanjay