Subject: Unnumbered and tunnel interfaces in OSPFv3

From: Nic Neate <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:55:54 +0100

Hi all,

I have a few OSPFv3 questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

1.  Is there any concept of an unnumbered interface in OSPFv3?  (As far as I
can see from RFC 2740, there isn't.)

2.  If yes, how do they work?  I would guess most principles from OSPFv2 can
be carried over, but what about usage of the Link-LSA?

3.  If not, are there any guidelines on how, for example, RSVP tunnel
interfaces should be handled?

Thanks in advance,

Nic

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:26:18 -0400

Hi Nic,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nic Neate" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 10:55 AM
Subject: Unnumbered and tunnel interfaces in OSPFv3

> can see from RFC 2740, there isn't.)

Since OSPFv3 runs on a link rather than a subnet, there should be fewer
considerations.

> be carried over, but what about usage of the Link-LSA?

It seems that it could be suppressed for unnumbered LSAs. In fact, it has crossed
my mind that they could be suppressed for all OSPFv3 P2P links. At least in our
implementation, we don't need to discover the link local address and any prefixes
associated with the link are advertised in one of the router intra-area-prefix LSAs.

> interfaces should be handled?

I would think this would be transparent to OSPFv3.