Subject: draft-ogier-manet-ospf-extension-03.txt

From: Richard Ogier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:13:38 -0800

Hello,

An update to my draft titled "MANET Extension of OSPF using
CDS Flooding" is available at

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ogier-manet-ospf-extension-03.txt

(The meeting agenda says version 02, but the draft was recently updated
to version 03.)

This draft will be presented by Tom Henderson at the OSPF session
on Tuesday. (I am not able to attend the meeting.)

A powerpoint presentation for this draft is available at

       http://home.earthlink.net/~ogier/cds_ospf3.ppt

Here is a summary of the features:

- A scalable CDS algorithm (and family of interoperable CDS algorithms)
  is proposed, which generalizes the OSPF concept of a DR and BDR in
  a natural way.

- The set of DRs forms a CDS, and the set of DRs and BDRs forms a
  biconnected CDS for robustness.

- The computed CDS provides source-independent flooding of LSAs (or
  other packets). The flooding procedure also allows source-dependent
  flooding as an option, if it is desired to flood packets along
  min-hop paths.

- The CDS algorithm uses only 2-hop neighbor information from
  differential Hellos, allowing fast convergence following
  topology changes.

- Only partial 2-hop neighbor information is required. Thus, a
  non-DR/BDR router never needs to include all of its neighbors in
  either a Hello or an LSA.

- The choice of which neighbors to include in LSAs is flexible, allowing
  dissemination of partial or full topology information.

- The number of DRs and BDRs, the number of adjacencies, and the rate
  at which new adjacencies are formed, are all found to be scalable
  in simulations.

Regards,
Richard