Subject: OSPF sham link

From: Kalyan Bade <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:34:32 -0700

Folks,

I have a question regarding the distribution of sham link endpoint in
the OSPF domain.

From draft-ietf-l3vpn-ospf-2547-04.txt, section 4.2.7.1 last paragraph,
it is quoted that sham link endpoint address must not be distributed by
OSPF. I would like to know the requirement behind this. Say if the sham
link endpoint is the loopback and some customer wants the loopback in
the OSPF domain, as per the spec we cannot do that now. This is not
desirable. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Kalyan.

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:03:06 -0400

>desirable. Am I missing something here?
Hi Kalan,

I recently commented on that this should be clarified in the draft. The 
reason the sham endpoint should
not be redistributed or advertised in OSPF is that sham link endpoint 
reachability
is used to determine whether or not sham link is up. If the sham link 
endpoint is advertised in OSPF
the sham link would provide a viable path and greatly complicate this 
determination. 

Hope this helps,
Acee